Questions 1-10 are Antonyms. Find the word most nearly OPPOSITE in meaning to the given word.
1. Sporadic is most nearly opposite in meaning to
2. Erudite is most nearly opposite in meaning to
3. Assuage is most nearly opposite in meaning to
4. Elliptical is most nearly opposite in meaning to
5. Glib is most nearly opposite in meaning to
6. Explicit is most nearly opposite in meaning to
7. Gaudy is most nearly opposite in meaning to
8. Torrid is most nearly opposite in meaning to
9. Effusive is most nearly opposite in meaning to
10. Jaded is most nearly opposite in meaning to
Questions 11-20 are Synonyms. Find the word most SIMILAR in meaning to the given word.
11. Nefarious is most similar in meaning to
12. Plausible is most similar in meaning to
13. Churlish is most similar in meaning to
14. Bolster is most similar in meaning to
15. Stringent is most similar in meaning to
16. Aspersion is most similar in meaning to
17. Underscore is most similar in meaning to
18. Lugubrious is most similar in meaning to
19. Multifaceted is most similar in meaning to
20. Judicious is most similar in meaning to
Questions 21-25 are sentence completions. Choose the answer which contains the words that best fit the blanks and complete the meaning of the given sentence.
21. The new ballet has a (an)____ setting: the shepherds and shepherdesses glide across the stage against a backdrop of ____ fields.
A. nondescript - rural
B. pastoral - verdant
C. summery - desolate
D. lamentable - ploughed
E. imaginative - realistic
22. The hotel claims that the water in its mock-Roman bath has ____ properties, but some cynics say that the shock of seeing the bill will ____ any improvements to the health of the guests.
A. therapeutic - undo
B. medicinal - underscore
C. salutary - sanction
D. rejuvenating - bolster
E. chemical - defeat
23. My mother gave the then unfashionable watercolors that she had painted when she was young to a local ____ because she wanted someone to appreciate them, but now regrets her action as there has been a (an) ____ interest in the medium and a national museum recently approached her to see if she had any to sell.
A. critic - waning of
B. collector - continuation of
C. historian - intensification of
D. resident - decline in
E. connoisseur - resurgence of
24. The fruitís ____ exterior belied the contents: the flesh was more ____ than a ripe mango, and had an intense flavor.
A. intriguing - interesting
B. gaudy - juicy
C. colorful - drab
D. nondescript - succulent
E. exotic - tender
25. Against my better judgment I went up into the decrepit attic to search for a mah jong set that had been ____ there for more than forty years, but as I stepped ____ on the beams I couldnít help feeling that the ceiling was going to give way under me.
A. lying - firmly
B. languishing - gingerly
C. rotting - athletically
D. flourishing - tentatively
E. stored - jauntily
This vocabulary test is designed for use with Word Focus
Find out more about Word Focus
* Test names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with this website.
All content of site and tests copyright © 2015 Study Mode, LLC.