Questions 1-15 are Antonyms. Find the word most nearly OPPOSITE in meaning to the given word.
1. Aboriginal is most nearly opposite in meaning to
2. Senescent is most nearly opposite in meaning to
3. Fractious is most nearly opposite in meaning to
4. Dissonance is most nearly opposite in meaning to
5. Subvert is most nearly opposite in meaning to
6. Translucent is most nearly opposite in meaning to
7. Dissuade is most nearly opposite in meaning to
8. Abhor is most nearly opposite in meaning to
9. Abstemious is most nearly opposite in meaning to
10. Attenuate is most nearly opposite in meaning to
11. Impotent is most nearly opposite in meaning to
12. Malevolent is most nearly opposite in meaning to
13. Gregarious is most nearly opposite in meaning to
14. Veracious is most nearly opposite in meaning to
15. Resonance is most nearly opposite in meaning to
Questions 16-30 are Synonyms. Find the word most SIMILAR in meaning to the given word.
16. Immure is most similar in meaning to
17. Orthodox is most similar in meaning to
18. Malinger is most similar in meaning to
19. Specious is most similar in meaning to
20. Sacrosanct is most similar in meaning to
21. Perspicacious is most similar in meaning to
22. Transitory is most similar in meaning to
23. Malediction is most similar in meaning to
24. Intransigence is most similar in meaning to
25. Abstruse is most similar in meaning to
26. Derogatory is most similar in meaning to
27. Congregate is most similar in meaning to
28. Abrogate is most similar in meaning to
29. Endemic is most similar in meaning to
30. Traduce is most similar in meaning to
Questions 31-40 are sentence completion questions. Choose the answer which contains the words that best fit the blanks and complete the meaning of the given sentence.
31. For several days she had a feeling of tiredness and general ____ and feared that these vague symptoms might ____ the onset of something more serious.
A. pain - indicate
B. malaise - portend
C. weakness - tender
D. senility - reflect
E. impotence - prevent
32. When interviewed for a magazine article the ____ claimed that he had joined the cult of his own volition, but his parents said that he had been ____ and had heard of the organization so recently that he could not have made a rational decision.
A. affiliate - indicted
B. polygamist - consecrated
C. neophyte - seduced
D. inductee - perverted
E. novice - absolved
33. The client took ____ the lawyer’s ____ tone and threatened to change to another law firm if he wasn’t treated with more respect and consideration.
A. issue with - seductive
B. comfort in - sanguinary
C. fright at - disputatious
D. offence at - benevolent
E. umbrage at - arrogant
34. The accident investigation team concluded that the failure to follow safety procedure was not a minor ____ ; it was a(n) ____ error and deserved the strongest punishment.
A. transgression - egregious
B. escapade - accidental
C. subterfuge - tenuous
D. matter - potent
E. infraction - specious
35. Husain’s ____ was damaged by water leakage and not, as was initially reported, by a(n) ____ attack by someone who disapproved of the painting’s theme.
A. pastiche - sanctimonious
B. portrait - retaliatory
C. edict - tendentious
D. mural - malicious
E. library - unwarranted
36. The therapist was ____ in her adherence to Freudianism and ____ that anyone who wanted to work with her would have to tow the same line.
A. fractious - pontificated
B. orthodox - verified
C. didactic - denied
D. dogmatic - averred
E. hesitant - announced
37. When we were at Stanford together, we knew Patrick as an ____ with a(n) ____ outlook on life, and so we were shocked to learn that in later life he suffered from depression and avoided contact with all his former friends.
A. introvert - subversive
B. extrovert - sanguine
C. malcontent - regressive
D. demagogue - arrogant
E. atheist - benevolent
38. After the unsuccessful ____ , some of the rebels fled to a neighboring country, thinking, mistakenly, that they would be given asylum, but they were ____ and ultimately executed.
A. insurrection - extradited
B. rebellion - harbored
C. coup - suborned
D. abdication - charged
E. resurgence - segregated
39. People who have a(n) ____ hypnosis sometimes refuse to be hypnotized because they are afraid that the hypnotist will plant ____ messages in their minds that will cause them to act in uncharacteristic ways once they come out of the trance.
A. awareness of - dubious
B. predilection for - coded
C. aversion to - subliminal
D. affinity for - tentative
E. fear of - disparate
40. In striving for ____ , the author incorporates so many details of her own childhood that many readers will ____ that this account is an autobiography masquerading as fiction.
A. popularity - complain
B. perfection - anticipate
C. effect - concur
D. realism - admit
E. verisimilitude - speculate
This vocabulary test is designed for use with Word Focus
Find out more about Word Focus
* Test names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with this website.
All content of site and tests copyright © 2014 Study Mode, LLC.