DIRECTONS : Define the terms and answer the questions to the best of your ability.
1. ASSIMILATION: is the process by which a person or a group's language and/or culture come to resemble those of another group. Assimilation may involve either a quick or gradual change depending on circumstances of the group. Full assimilation occurs when new members of a society become indistinguishable from members of the other group. Whether or not it is desirable for an immigrant group to assimilate is often disputed by both members of the group and those of the dominant society.
2. CRIMEAN WAR: The Crimean War also known in Russian historiography as the Eastern War of 1853-1856 was a conflict in which Russia lost to an alliance of France, Britain, the Ottoman Empire, and Sardinia. The immediate cause involved the rights of Christian minorities in the Holy Land, which was controlled by the Ottoman Empire. The French promoted the rights of Catholics, while Russia promoted those of the Orthodox Christians. Russia lost the war and the Ottomans gained a twenty-year respite from Russian pressure. The Christians were granted a degree of official equality and the Orthodox gained control of the Christian churches in dispute.
3. Imperialism: is "a policy of extending a country's power and influence through colonization, use of military force, or other means".[
.帝国主义：是[“通过殖民，使用武力，或 - 其它手段扩展一个国家的力量和影响的政策”。
4. Sepoys: The term sepoy came into use in the forces of the British East India Company in the eighteenth century, where it was one of many, such as peons, gentoos, mestees and topasses used for various categories of native soldiers. Initially it referred to Hindu or Muslim soldiers without regular uniform or discipline. It later generically referred to all native soldiers in the service of the European powers in India. Close to ninety-six percent of the British East India Company's army of 300,000 men were native to India and these sepoys played a crucial role in securing the subcontinent for the company.
5. BATTLE OF ADOWA: The Battle of Adwa was fought on 1 March 1896 between the Ethiopian Empire and the Kingdom of Italy near the town of Adwa, Ethiopia, in Tigray. It was the climactic battle of the First Italo-Ethiopian War, securing Ethiopian sovereignty.
6. DIRECT CONTROL: The French and other European powers preferred direct control of their colonies. They viewed the Africans as unable to handle the complex business of running a country. Europeans developed a policy called PATERNALISM. Europeans provided for their needs, but didn’t give them rights. Europeans brought in their own bureaucrats and and not train local people in European methods of governing.
DIRECT CONTROL：法国和欧洲列强 - 其它首选他们的殖民地的直接控制。他们认为非洲人确实无法处理运行一个国家的复杂业务。欧洲人开发了一种名为过期家长式的政策。欧洲人为他们的需求，喝了关于没有给他们的权利。欧洲人brought`在自己，而不是官僚和地方培养人的，执政的欧洲方法。
7. INDIRECT CONTROL: The British asked a local ruler to accept British authority to rule. Local officials handled much of the daily management of the colony. Each colony had a legislative council that included colonial officials as well as local merchants and professionals nominated by the colonial governor.
8. SOCIAL DARWINISM: Many Europeans believed that they were better than other peoples. Charles