1. Who is the main character? Briefly describe the main character.
The main character is Winston Smith. He is about thirty-nine years old.
2. What is the setting of the novel? Give the country and the city.
The novel is set in and around London, which is the main city of Airstrip One, a province of the country of Oceania.
3. What are the three slogans of the Party? Write them the way they are shown in the novel.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
4. What does the caption on the posters say?
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.
5. Name each of the Ministries and explain its function. Also include the Newspeak name for each ministry.
The Ministry of Truth, or Minitrue, is concerned with …show more content…
The Party wants to prevent men and women from forming relationships and loyalties that it might not be able to control. It wants to remove all pleasure from the sexual act.
10. What is the Party’s policy on marriage, divorce, and children?
The Party approves all marriages. If the couple seem physically attracted to one another, the Party does not allow the marriage to take place. The only reason for sexual intercourse is to create a child. Divorce is not allowed. Separation is encouraged if there are no children.
One: VII, VIII
1. Where does Winston think hope lies? Why?
He thinks hope lies in the proles. Since the proles make up eighty-five percent of the population of Oceania, they could come together to destroy the Party. He does not think the Party can be overthrown from within.
2. What is the Party belief about the proles?
The Party sees the proles as natural inferiors who must be kept in subjection. They should not have strong political feelings. They do not need to be indoctrinated in Party ideology. They only need enough patriotism to make them accept whatever the Party offers.
3. Describe the one time that Winston held real evidence of an act of falsification.
Once when he was in the Chestnut Tree Café, Winston saw three men who had been arrested, confessed, and reinstated in the Party. A little while later they were arrested. They confessed again and were killed. About five years