• Describe and categorize chemically the components of various popular “energy drinks.”
• Determine the physiological role of these components in the human body.
• Explain scientiﬁcally how the marketing claims for these drinks are supported (or not).
• Determine under what conditions each of the “energy drinks” might be useful to the consumer.
After spending several years working the Sport’s Desk of the Lansing State Journal, Rhonda had landed the job of her dreams as a writer for Runners’ World magazine. The job was fantastic! Since high school, where she had excelled in cross country, Rhonda had been a consistent runner, participating in local races …show more content…
• Most 8-ounce energy drinks in the market today have over 100 calories and from 27 to 30 grams of sugar, which is a simple carbohydrate. Most 12-ounce non-diet soft drinks have 170 calories from 40 grams of sugar. Most 5.5-ounce juice drinks have 80 calories from 20 grams of sugar.
• Calories from sugar and carbohydrates may increase fat deposits. Simple carbohydrates are also called high glycemic (high sugar) foods. High glycemic foods cause your body to pump insulin to digest the sugar, which sends a message to your body to store calories as fat. Low glycemic foods do not pump insulin to the same degree and aid in your body’s natural metabolism of fat, using your body’s fat resources as fuel. Many experts fear that the epidemic incidence of diabetes in North America today may be signiﬁcantly contributed to by high-glycemic diets. The 8 calories in XS Citrus Blast are from amino acids and are protein calories that aid your body’s natural metabolic process.
• XS Citrus Blast uses a proprietary blend of Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium (Ace K), and fruit essences to give the drinks their great ﬂ avor without sugar or empty calories. In fact, the 8 calories in the drink come from the 2 grams of amino acids, which are protein calories.
Sobe Adrenaline Rush®
• This maximum energy supplement delivers an energy boost with a natural passion fruit ﬂavor. It’s lightly carbonated with a clean smooth feel.
• This maximum energy supplement is fortiﬁed with a