1. Who presents the Prologue of Romeo and Juliet? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2. Where does Romeo and Juliet take place? ________________________________
3. Name the two families who maintain a blood feud against each other. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
4. What does Capulet tell Paris to do about Juliet? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
5. How does Romeo find out about the Capulet’s party? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
6. Describe the first meeting of Romeo and Juliet. How does it happen? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
7. What does Tybalt want to do when he spies Romeo at the ball, and how is he prevented from doing it?
Fill in the blank DIRECTIONS: Choose the term that best describes each passage or description below, and write the answer on the line provided on your answer sheet.
classical allusion foreshadowing personification oxymoron
simile metaphor sonnet couplet
dramatic irony iambic pentameter apostrophe soliloquy
motif alliteration conceit pun
8. __________________________________________________ “I fear too early, for my mind misgives Some consequence yet hanging in the starts Shall bitterly begin his fearful date…”
9. __________________________________________________ One unaccented syllable and one accented syllable, in that order, five times.
10. __________________________________________________ “My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand/…/
Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims’ hands do touch,” 11. __________________________________________________ “She hath Dian’s wit,”
12. __________________________________________________ A recurrent thematic element in literary or artistic
13. __________________________________________________ “Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs”
14. __________________________________________________ “O heavy lightness, serious vanity, Misshapen chaos of well-seeming forms, Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health…”
15. __________________________________________________ “from forth the fatal loins of these two foes”
16. __________________________________________________ “You have dancing shoes / With nimble soles.
I have a soul of lead”
TRUE-FALSE: Mark each statement either true or false.
_____ 17. Romeo goes to the Capulet's party because he wants to see Juliet.
_____ 18. Juliet agrees with her mother and plans to marry Paris.
_____ 19. Mercutio thinks there is such a thing as “true love.”
_____ 20. Mercutio believes dreams fulfill what people most want to see in life and end happily.
_____ 21. Why do Sampson and Gregory fight with Montague's men?
a. Montague's men pushed Sampson against the wall.
b. Gregory hurt one of the Montague women.
c. They are fighting for their master, who is a Capulet.
d. Montague's men wouldn't let them pass.
_____ 22. Benvolio and Tybalt come upon the servants fighting. How do they react to the fight?
a. They both ignore it.
b. Benvolio tries to break it up, but Tybalt wants to fight
c. Benvolio wants to fight, but Tybalt runs away.
d. They both encourage the servants to fight.
_____ 23. What ended the opening skirmish?
a. The prince threatened them all with death if they fought.
b. The Montagues