Class Two: 9.10.14
- Sit in Groups
- Career-Building Tip: o Linked In – create and build profile, network o In addition to experience, add portfolios, projects, awards, industryrelated experiences o Build your network, link up with industry professionals o Personalize your Linked In URL
What is Media?
- Media is defined as “mass communication channels through which news, data, entertainment, education, or promotional messages are disseminated”
- Media Planning is “the process of selecting media time and space to connect advertisers with consumers relevantly to achieve goals”
The Advertising Process: The Departments
- Account Services: The link between ad agencies and its clients, this department is responsible for understanding CLIENT GOALS and managing delivered expectations, budgets, and timelines.
- Creative Services: The “artists” of the ad worlds reside in this department, which is responsible for development of the BRAND MESSAGING and imagery that will be relevantly delivered to the market.
- Media Services: The “match-making” department in the agency, Media is responsible for selecting and negotiating the best SPACE in which to reach the desired target audience in the right frame of mind for accepting the message.
- Digital Services: This department is responsible for managing a client’s ONLINE
COMMUNICATION channels, engagement, reputation, and remarketing.
- Marketing Services: Often responsible for agency growth, this department focuses on categorical and target market RESEARCH, as well as NEW BUSINESS development. - Management & Financial Services: The “epicenter” of the agency, this department manages all OPERATIONS, including accounting, human resources, and financial
The Advertising Process: The People
- Account Services o Director of Account Services – Manages all Department personnel o Account Manager – Manages all personnel for a specific client or clients o Account Executive – Manages client communication/operation o Account Coordinator – Behind-the-scenes, day-to-day support tasks
Creative Services o Creative Director – Leads all Creative account direction o Production Manager – Heads all creative fulfillment direction o Art Director – In charge of leading message development in campaigns o Copywriter/Graphic Designer/Illustrator – responsible for development of individual branding and campaign elements
Media Services o Media Director – Guides all department personnel and resources o Media Planner – In charge of determining budget allocation by demographic, market, and medium o Media Buyer – Responsible for negotiating specific positioning, individual rates, earned media, and added value with media o Traffic – Logs, tags, and distributes final creative to individual media
Digital Services o Digital Director – Guides all department personnel and resources o Content Manager – Responsible for pulling brand and campaign initiatives through all online channels o Social Media Manager – Leads all growth and engagement planning and development for clients o Designer/Communication Coordinator – Heads graphic design for digital delivery
Marketing Services o Sales/New Business Manager – Leads team charged with growing existing and prospective clients o Team Leader – Responsible for individual categories of opportunity for new business o Research Coordinator