6 Volt Battery
60 Grams of Soil
500 mL Beaker
2 Copper Wires (20 inches with plastic insulated)
1. Place 60grams of soil in the 500mL beaker.
2. Add 500mL of water in the soil and stir till completely mixed.
3. Let the soil set for 10min.
4. Get the two of wires and connect it to the battery and get the other two ends and place in soil.( Mark one wire negative and one positive)
5. Leave the wires in the slurry of soil for 15 min (make sure the wires are 2in apart from one another).
6. Pull out wires and see what happens.
7. Repeat steps 1-5 for the other soils.
Does Soil Function as an Electrical System?
Hypothesis If soil functions as an electrical system, then gardening soil would be the best option.
Purpose The purpose of the experiment was to test if soil can function as an electrical system. I wanted to do this experiment because I always wondered why lightning hits the ground many times, why not other things. This information can be used to see if soil can really flow electrical currents through it or attract it.
Conclusion My hypothesis was proven right that, if soil functions as an electrical system, then gardening soil would be the best option. I believe gardening soil did the best out of the other soils because it had the most moisture plus it was softer and electricity is attracted to water. Adding water to the soil enhanced the…