2. At 15 years old Derain started his artist journey taking his first painting classes from a close friend.
3. Derain then went on to study painting from 1898 to 1899 at the Academie Carriere located in Paris.
4. Derains earliest style was influenced by artists such as Maurice de Vlaminck and Henri Matisse, who was a fellow student with Derain at the Academie Carriere.
5. From 1905 to 1908 Derain advocated Fauvism and worked in this style with his traditional subject matter but painted with broken brushstrokes and fantastic colours.
6. Derain, after the introduction of fauvism, worked a few years after in a stylised form of cubism