AT&T was started over 130 years ago in 1875. It started out when Alexander Graham Bell began work on the telephone. Initially it just made telephones and licensed to companies to
Many changes in the company structure
7 Nobel prizes
I. General Environment
A. Technology Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone and earned the patent in 1875. AT & T was incorporated in 1885 with objective of building and operating long distance network. AT & T was the telecommunication leader until the late 90s. Here is the list of AT & T technological movement: 1925 virtually monopoly on local telephone service, 1926 begins telephone service via two-way radio, 1947 transistor invented at Bell …show more content…
II. Industry Environment
A. Industry definition-Telecommunication industry is a large and high-tech industry. It includes local, long distance and wireless network service, broadband for computer and cable for television. This industry is complex and diversified; rapid technology development and upgrades are crucial to survival in this industry.
B. Dominant economic characteristics
1. Market size: As technology advances, the need for telecommunication is growing year by year. The need to use telephone, computer or cable for every household is increasing. Telecommunication industry market size is enormous; the market size includes the whole nation population.
2. Stage of life cycle: The stage of life cycle for telecommunication industry is reaching maturity. However, the industry has potential to grow due to constant technological advancements.
3. Growth rate: the case did not provide growth rate information.
4. Scope of rivalry: Judging from the number of domestic firms, the rivalry is intense within the nation. In every leg of the business, AT&T has a competitor.
5. Rival concentration: The industry segment consists of network for local and long distance, Internet and cable. Rival concentration is mainly on access and control to the local network, without such