BIOL. 361-05 (HUMAN ANATOMY &PHYSIOLOGY)
EXAM # 1
SEPTEMBER 6, 2012
INSTRUCTION: Answer all the questions.
1. If a person has a sore in the oral cavity, where is it located?
B. Lower back
D. Head 2. Which type of section divides the body into right and left portions?
D. Coronal 3. Which type of section divides the body into anterior and posterior portions?
D. Frontal or coronal 4. Visceral refers to
D. atoms. 5. Which of the following refers to the membrane lining the abdominal cavity wall?
A. Parietal pericardium
B. Visceral peritoneum
C. Parietal peritoneum
D. Visceral pleura
6. The gallbladder and spleen are ipsilateral to each other.
True False 7. The foot is proximal to the knee.
8. Differentiate between local, systemic, acute, and chronic disease.
9. List the levels of organization of the human body in order from least complex to most complex and provide a brief description of each level.
10. Distinguish between anatomy and physiology, and then explain how they are related.
11. Which of the following subatomic particles are found in the nucleus of an atom?
A. Protons and electrons
B. Electrons and neutrons
C. Protons and positrons
D. Neutrons and protons 12. The number of protons in an atom is called the
A. atomic number.
B. atomic weight.
C. mass number.
D. combining weight. 13. Which subatomic particle determines the identity of an atom?
D. Prion 14. Which subatomic particle determines the chemical activity of an atom?
D. Prion 15. Atoms with more than one shell are most stable when the outermost shell contains _____ electrons.
16. Over 80% of the body is composed of four elements: carbon, nitrogen, chlorine, and hydrogen.
True False 17. The number of electrons in the outermost shell of an atom will determine the chemical activity of the atom.
18. Explain the difference between an ionic bond and a covalent bond.
19. Explain the structure and function of ATP.
20. Which will give you quick energy: foods high in carbohydrates, fats, or proteins? Why?
21. The plasma membrane consists primarily of
A. phospholipids and proteins.
B. sugars and starchs.
C. phospholipids and sugars.
D. sugars and proteins. 22. Small structures that compartmentalize the cell for the various cellular activities are
D. proteins. 23. The gelatinous supporting material of a cell is the
A. plasma membrane.
D. organelle. 24. The movement of protein molecules within the phospholipids bilayer is described by the
A. fluid mosaic model.
B. lipid mosaic model.
C. protein – lipid mosaic model.
D. cholesterol mosaic model. 25. The presence of cholesterol molecules in plasma membranes is to
A. allow the buildup of fats.
B. change the chemical nature of the membrane.
C. create a mosaic pattern.
D. stabilize the phospholipids at low temperatures. 26. The chemical nature of phospholipids will cause them to form a single layer in a water environment.
True False 27. A nickname for the mitochondria is the cell's powerhouse.
True False 28. The process of "cell drinking" is known as phagocytosis.
True False 29. The anticodon of tRNA matches the codon of mRNA to ensure the correct sequence of amino acids.
30. Describe the function of cilia and flagella, and give examples of the activities of each in the body.
31. Which type of tissue covers surfaces and lines cavities?