Romeo and Juliet
Reading Questions – Act I, Scenes 1-5
1. What are Sampson and Gregory doing at the beginning of Scene 1?
2. Whom do these two men serve?
3. Who do these men run into on the street? What happens during this encounter?
4. When the Prince appears, what does he say to the Capulets and the Montagues? – Paraphrase.
5. What is wrong with Romeo when he enters the scene?
1. What do Lord Capulet and Paris discuss?
2. What is Lord Capulet planning?
3. What do Romeo and his comrades plan to do with regard to the party?
4. Is Romeo excited about the plan? Why or why not?
Scene 3 and Scene 4
1. What does Lady Capulet discuss with her daughter, Juliet?
How Juliet is to be wed soon.
2. Who does Lord Capulet suggest as a good match in marriage for Juliet?
3. What does the Nurse think of Paris? How does she describe him?
He is described as a “man of wax” essentially, the perfect man.
4. What do Romeo and Benvolio wear as they venture out towards the party?
5. Is Romeo happy to be at the party? Why or why not?
Of course, since he met Juliet they kissed etc.
1. What is the most important part of this scene? Why?
Most likely Romeo kissing Juliet
2. Romeo describes Juliet in the following lines. What does he mean to say about her?
That she literally beats everything in beauty.
O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear;
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!
So shows a