You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 8 pages and is made up of 7 Sections.
Section 1 – Know the employment rights and res ponsibilities of the emp loyee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information). – Job Title – Employee's Name – Main Place of Work – Hours of Work, Duties and Responsibilities
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment.
– health and safety – data protection – rights and responsibilities
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment. – Pay – Pension – Data Protection
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on employment rights and responsibilities. You should identify at least two internal and two external sources of information.
– Handbooks & internal documents like SOPs and LSOPs – Contracts – Intranet – Legal Professionals – Trade Unions
4. Describe how representative bodies can support employees.
Trade Unions could help employees to be treated in an equally fair way and to be given equal opportunities.
Helping Employee's when it comes to issues like:
Health and safety
Information and consultation representation
European consultative bodies
‘TUPE’ (Transfer of undertakings)
5. Briefly describe employer and employee responsibilities for equality and diversity in a business environment. You should give at least two employer responsibilities and two employee responsibilities.
– to provide same job opportunities regardless gender – respect culture differences
– to treat others with respect regardless sexuality – to assist others with less skills
If possible, provide relevant equality and diversity procedures from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
Diversity – worked in a hotel / hospitality industry.
People with different backgrounds mix together. They need to respect each other in order to achieve team goals. There are different communication styles in the group but everybody needs to learn what style is acceptable in order not to come across as rude or pushy.
6. Briefly explain the benefits of making sure equality and diversity procedures are followed in a business environment. Your answer should include one benefit for the employer, one benefit for the employee and one benefit for the overall organisation.
To set rules of what is right and wrong.
This supports team work and is easier to handle challenges and conflicts.
For example people from different countries are working together but only speaking English to ensure others are not offended as they wouldn't understand.
1/ Benefit for the employer – one common language, avoiding misinterpretation of what/who it's being talk about
2/ Benefit for the employee's – don't feel left out or feeling like being spoken about
3/ Benefit for the organisation – coming across as an united front – professional