2. Water disassociates to form the OH- ion or the hydroxide ion, and the H3O+ ion, otherwise known as the hydronium ion.
3. The word 'alkalinity' means pH values above 7.
7. It can be formed when an acid is present in water or simply in pure water. It's chemical formula is H3O+. It can also be formed by the combination of a H+ ion with an H2O molecule. The hydronium ion has a trigonal pyramidal geometry and is composed of three hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.
8. When an acid is combined with a base, neutralization occurs. The result of neutralization is a salt and water. Neutralization helps return our body pH to neutral. The process of our bodies maintaining neutral pH so that proteins can work properly without being denatured (unfolded) is known as homeostasis.
9. Acids and bases have been defined differently by three sets of theories. One is the Arrhenius definition, which revolves around the idea that acids are substances that ionize (break off) in an aqueous solution to produce…