As I am thinking of working in a Nursery as a Nursery Assistant my role would be to support the Teacher in her role as an assistant as well as supporting the children.
In order to achieve this I would need to have a clear understanding of my work role and what is needed for this. For example; - Understand the aspects that I will need to carry out accurately - If there is room for improvement, where to get this training and get relevant experience
To start working in this field you would need to do a lot of research as to what is needed and how to achieve this. To start off with one should decide in what field they want to work in and obtain a job description. In case, as I have decided I would like to work as a nursery assistant, I have obtained a job description for this as you can see below;
JOB DESCRIPTION for Nursery Assistant
The Nursery Assistant will be working as part of a Key Worker team for the daily needs of children between the ages of birth to five years.
To contribute a high standard of physical, emotional, social and intellectual care for children placed in the Nursery. To give support to other personnel within the Nursery
To implement the daily routine in the base room
- To contribute to a programme of activities suitable to the age range of children in your area, in conjunction with other staff
- Support all staff and engage in a good staff team.
- Liaise with and support parents and other family members.
- To attend out of working hours activities, e.g. training, monthly staff meetings, parent's evenings, summer fare, Christmas party, etc.
- To be flexible within working practices of Nursery
- Be prepared to help where needed, including to undertake certain domestic jobs within the Nursery, e.g. preparation of snack meals, cleansing of equipment, etc.
- Work alongside the manager and staff team to ensure that the philosophy behind the project is fulfilled
- Recording accidents in the accident book
- Look upon the Nursery as a "whole", where can you help be most utilised, be constantly aware of the needs of children
- Ensure child is collected by someone known to Nursery.
- Preparation and completion of activities to suite the child's stage of development
- To ensure mealtimes is a time of pleasant social sharing
- Washing and changing children as required.
- Providing comfort and warmth to a poorly child
- To ensure the provision of a high quality environment to meet the needs of individual children from differing cultures and religious backgrounds, and stages of development
- To be aware of the high profile of the Nursery and to uphold its standards at all times Qualities and Experience Required
Experienced in working with children under five years of age. Qualifications such as the following are desirable although not essential: NVQ Level 2/3
B Tec Nursery Nursing
PLA Diploma in pre-school practice
Willingness to undertake additional training is necessary.
Applications are welcomed irrespective of sex, race, creed, disability or age.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER.
PERSON SPECIFICATION for Nursery Assistant