Homework Assignment # 8
Geology 1, Section # 1176 or 1177 (pick one)
Dr. Beraki Woldehaimanot
Date (assignment completed) QUESTIONS
GEOLOGIC TIME 1. Distinguish between numerical (radioactive) dates and relative dates. numerical specify the actual number of years that have passed since an event occurred; relative means placing rocks in their property sequences of formation
2. Refer to the geologic cross section accompanying question 10 on page 333 (your textbook). Your task is to place the lettered features in the proper sequence, from oldest to youngest.
3. Would you expect to find fossils of humans and Dinosaurs in the same rock? Explain.
4. Define half-life.
Half-life is defined …show more content…
-Subsidence (ground sinks when water is pumped from wells faster than natural recharge processes can replace it)
11. In Figure 17.14, two wells are at the same level. Why was one successful and the other not?
12. What warms the waters that flow at Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas, and at Warm Springs, Georgia? geochemists conclude that the water flowing from the hot springs in HSNP was not heated by coming in contact with magma – it fell as rainwater. Based on radioactive isotope dating, they estimate that much of the water is approximately 4,400 years old.
PETROLEUM, NAT GAS, COAL, & MIN DEPOSITS
13. Distinguish between renewable and nonrenewable resources.
Renewable energy sources are ones which don't run out - which can berenewed. We can keep using them and using them, and we'll never run out. Examples of renewable sources include wind, water power (hydroelectric), and solar power (light from the sun).
Non-renewable energy sources are ones which do run out. As we use them to generate energy, they get used up, and can't be used a second time. There are three main non-renewable energy sources, which are fast running out: coal, oil and natural gas.
14. List some advantages and disadvantages of coal.
a. Coal energy is very affordable due to its stable price unlike any other forms of energy in the market.
b. The abundance of coal energy is in a large number.
15. What is the primary fuel used in nuclear power