CHAPTER II. OFS REVIEW SHEET
Answer the following questions utilizing Chapter II. in the text, chapter II. outlines, and Chapter II. resources provided in class.
1. What is secularism?
2. What is humanism?
3. What is individualism?
4. What were the disasters that occurred during the 14th century?
5. What was a consequence of the Hundred Years War?
6. What was a cause of the Babylonian Captivity?
7. What were some events that happened after the Black Death?
8. Identify three goals of the Catholic Conciliar Movement.
9. What was the Renaissance and where did the Renaissance begin?
10. Identify the values that became important during the Renaissance.
11. Why did the Renaissance flourish in Florence?
12. Identify three characteristics of Renaissance art.
13. Identify three characteristics of Renaissance literature.
14. Identify three characteristics of Renaissance architecture.
15. Identify three characteristics of Renaissance music.
16. How did Renaissance art differ from Medieval art?
17. Who was Petrach?
18.Why did Florentine become the standard from the Italian language?
19. Who wrote the Divine Comedy and why was this work significant?
20. Who wrote the Courtier and why was this work significant?
21. Did the medieval educational system group students by age and level of achievement? (yes or no)
22. Why were the marriages skillfully arranged politically, economically, socially, culturally, and religiously?
23. Who wrote the Prince and why was it a significant work?
24. What caused Italy's decline in the 16th century?
25. Did the New Monarchs favor Roman law over Common law in the 15th Century? (yes or no)
26. Why did the Renaissance spread to Northern Europe?
27. Identify three Northern Renaissance artists and their works.
28. What is mysticism?
29. Who was Erasmus of Rotterdam and what contributions did he make to the time period?
30. Who was Thomas More and what contributions did he make to the time period?
31. Why did the French kings decide not to adopt Protestantism?
32. Was France part of Charles V.'s Holy Roman Empire? (yes or no)
33. In Europe, did the new monarchies use the older precedent of common law to entrench their authority? (yes or no)
34. In Spain, did the terms Morisco and Marrano refer to Christians of Moorish and Jewish descent? (yes or no)
35. Did the new monarchy of Spain build up its power by working through institutions of the Catholic Church to impose religious conformity on the entire region? (yes or no)
36. Identify three causes of the Protestant Reformation in Europe?
37. According to Luther, could a person use their own conscience to define true Christian belief? (yes or no)
38. Did Luther support the peasants revolts that occurred in 1524? (yes or no)
39. Was the Peace of Augsburg in 1555, considered to be a victory for Lutheranism and states' right? (yes or no)
40. Was John Calvin a lawyer and a theologian? (yes or no)
41. Did Calvin encourage people believing in Calvinism to have a lot of personal freedoms? (yes or no)
42. During the English Reformation movement, did England break away from the Roman Catholic church even when there was not a theological dispute between the king and the pope? (yes or no)
43. Under the leadership of Elizabeth I. , did the Church of England adopt a Protestant liturgy and theology? (yes or no)
44. Did the aristocracys' wealth during the reign of Henry VIII. increase or decrease?
45. Did Protestantism encourage or discourage family life for both clergy and lay people?
46. What was the Catholic Counter Reformation?
47. What was the Council of Trent?
48. What was the Catholic response to the rise of Protestantism?
49. Who led the Scottish Reformation?
50. What was the Act of Supremacy?
51. Who wrote the Defense of the Seven Sacraments?
52. What occurred at the…