ACED 4050, Workforce Development and
By: Norman Clark Daniel and Nakita Henry
After Reading and Reviewing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
List Several sources that are successful for internal and external recruitment of employees Describe the content of a new employee orientation session as conducted by an administrative office manager
Discuss the systems approach to training
Determine the possibility of and under what circumstances an office worker is best trained on the job or outside the workplace
Knowing the three categories of discipline problems
Describing the importance of the performance appraisal process
process of generating a pool of qualified applicants for organizational job vacancies
-Falls under two categories:
Recruiting internally, vacancies are advertised only within the organization
Recruiting outside the organization with on-line job announcements, job fairs, college placement offices etc.
Private and Public
1. Forward position requisition
2. Complete application form
3. Complete preliminary screening
4. Administer employment tests
5. Conduct job interview
6. Check references and verify prior employment
7. Give physical exams
Example of Employment
Standard Interview Questions
Structural interview question example:
How does your experience qualify you for this job?
Situational interview question example:
Suppose you worked for two bosses, and both came to you with a rush project that had to be completed in the next two hours. How would you proceed if you only had time to do one of the projects?
Behavioral interview question example:
Describe a work situation where you took a project from start to finish and were complimented on the results.
- The activity that specifically prepares employees for working in a particular organization and working environment .
• In general, a good orientation should provide information about the physical workplace, policies, procedures, and expected performance • It should also include routine information such as payroll arrangements, breaks, benefits, and working hours
- In many organizations, the responsibility for new employee orientation is shared between the human resources