Fall Semester, 2013
3 hours credit, CRN 91627
Office Hours (Randolph 144)
Preston Durrill, Instructor M 8:00-9:00, 1:30-5:00
Randolph Hall, Room 144 Tu 9:00-11:00, 4:00-5:00
Office phone: 540-231-6774 W 8:00-9:00, 1:30-5:00
Home phone: 540-961-5179 Th 9:00-12:00, 4:00-5:00 e-mail: email@example.com F 8:00-9:00, 1:30-3:00
Class times: 2:00-3:15 Tuesday and Thursday in McBryde 100.
Evening help sessions: Wednesdays 5:00-6:30 p.m. in Hancock 209 beginning on September 4. ON WEEKS WHEN THERE IS A TUESDAY TEST, THE HELP SESSION WILL BE ON MONDAY INSTEAD OF WEDNESDAY AND WILL BE HELD FROM 7:00-8:30 IN ENGEL 223. Attendance at Help Sessions is entirely optional but can be helpful. …show more content…
Final exam: The final exam will cover the entire semester’s work. Exam time: Friday, December 13, 7:45-9:45 a.m. (Rooms TBA)
The best way to prepare for tests and the final exam is: (1) study your class notes carefully, working though examples that I did in class; (2) understand the assigned Connect/Learn Smart homework and work extra homework problems when you feel this is necessary; (3) utilize the worksheets when you need additional practice problems; (4) do the old (Fall, 2012) tests under the pressure of a time limit.
Important Information Regarding the Tests and Final Exam and the iClicker Questions
1. The only calculator that can be used on quizzes, tests and the final exam is a TI-30X IIS, which is available at the Bookstore on campus for about $15.
2. A periodic table and tables of data will be provided when needed.
3. Tests and the exam and iClicker questions are closed-book, closed notes. You will be provided with a formula sheet for the final exam.
4. Note the information on “Absences” on this page of this syllabus.
5. Do not handle cell phones, iPods, laptops, or other such electronic devices during the tests, and exam. They must be turned off and stored.
6. iClicker questions will be conceptual and will not require a calculator.
Extra Credit: Extra credit assignments are never given in General Chemistry courses. The thought