Data Applications and Healthcare Quality w/Lab
August 25, 2013
Introduction to Oncology Program
Sunshine Hospital is a teaching hospital that studies regional cardiology and oncology programs while specializing in lung cancer. Sunshine Hospital is JCAHO and URAC accredited, has cancer research funding through the National Institutes of Health through 2010, and has achieved a three-year accreditation with commendation by the Commission on Cancer.
Oncology Committee Members includes:
1. Administive Director of Medical Records- Teresa Manzon 2. Anesthesiology – Larry Jones 3. American Cancer Societies – Judith Fester 4. CEO, Board of Director – Arthur Vargas 5. Chief of Oncology – Judy Bias 6. Data Analyst – Benjamin Craig 7. Diagnostic Radiologist – Harry Wilson 8. Director of Dietary Services – Irma Dailey 9. Director of Health Education – William Keifer 10. Director of Nursing – Kimberly Fowler
11. Director of Quality Services – Linda Lawson
12. Director of Social Services – Darla Hernandez
13. RHIA, HIM Director – Tiffany Roads
14. Hospital Administrator – Kim Breitegan
15. Lead Oncology Nurse – Patricia Hunter
16. Medical Director, Oncology –Robert Canales
17. Pathologist – Martha Joubert
18. Pharmacy Department – Craig Cameron
19. Surgeons of various Specialties – Cynthia Larson, John LeDet and Sally Studs
20. VP of Patient Care Administration – Karen Fowler
Oncology Program Narrative Report
As we take a closer look at Sunshine Hospital’s yearly statistics we can observe the Certified Tumor Register Assessments from Sunshine regarding the Assessment of the breakdown in Total cases, Age Distribution Assessment, Assessment of Stage at Diagnosis, Assessment of Males and Females by Site, Assessment of Lung Oncology Cases over a five-year period, Assessment of Age at Diagnosis, Assessment of how the diagnosis of Lung Cancer was made, Assessment of the Histology of Lung Cancer, and an Assessment of Lung Cancer Treatment by type.
The Accreditation of cancer programs ensures that the facilities that have been accredited can voluntarily commit to provision of the best cancer diagnosis and treatment. Accreditation also ensures that government requirement are met and adhered to. As stated above Sunshine Hospital is JCAHO and URAC accredited, has cancer research funding through the National Institutes of Health through 2010, and has achieved a three-year accreditation with commendation by the Commission on Cancer.
These accreditation and government requirements include, quality care close to home, access to cancer information, care that is comprehensive, patient centered services, information on clinical trials, which means that center should provide the patients with information regarding any clinical trials and leave it upon the patient to decide whether he will take it up; the center should have a multidisciplinary team approach which offers the cancer patients various ranges of treatment and ideas of different disciplines; a monitoring system that will ensure that patients receiving treatment are monitored to see how they react with the medication; follow up care, and establishment of a cancer registry that ensures that any data concerning cancer patients is collected and analyzed so as to forge the way forward concerning the disease.
The coding scheme used is numbers such as code 1, code 2 and code 3.
Each cancer type has its own classification system, so letters and numbers do not always mean the same thing for every kind of cancer. Once the T, N, and M are determined, they are combined, and an overall “Stage” of I, II, III, IV is assigned. Sometimes theses stages are subdivided as well, using letters such as IIIA and IIIB.
The staff of the cancer registry collects the data of the patients and manages, analyzes it so as to form good…