Outcome 1 Understanding why effective communication is important in the work
1- Identify the different reasons why people communicate
People communicate for a wide variety of reasons:-
• To build relationship
• To maintain relationship
• To gain and share information
• To gain reassurance and acknowledgement
• To express needs and feeling
• To share ideas and thought
2- Explain how communication affects relationships in the work setting
When working with children communication is a key factor, we need to be able to communicate with a wide range of people such as, children and their parents, other member of staff and management; we may also have to come into contact with health professionals such as Social workers, Dietician,Physiotherapists and Speech therapists.
Relationships and communication skills go hand in hand; Practitioners who have good communication skills are likely to have good relationships with children, parent and other adults. Professional relationships and communication are essentials in the early years, so it helps us to:-
• Support children’s play and learning
• Settle children into the setting
• Sharing and gaining information
• Support children with their transitions
• Work effectively as a team
The quality of relationships that we have with children and young people has a huge effect on the way in which we can work with them. Positive relationships with children and young people are important because:-
• When children feel comfortable with us they can separate more easily from their parents.
• Children are more likely to participate in the play and learning activities if they are secure emotionally.
• When children have strong relationships, they are less likely to show unwanted behaviour as we can recognise and meet their needs.
• Children’s language develop more quickly because they feel confident talking to us.
• Practitioners can help more accurately as they understand children’s development needs and know their interests.
• Practitioners are able to respond to children more effectively because they can recognise their expressions and emotions.
Outcome 2 Be able to meet the communication and language needs, wishes and Preferences of