What is Computer Science, and why do you want to major in it ? Due: Wednesday, 10/08/14, 11:59pm
What is computer science?
● A scientific approach is both the practical and theoretical computation and design of computers. ○ http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~john/whatiscs.html
What is an operating system?
● Manages and supports a computer’s software and hardware, as well as memory and processing ○ http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/operating%20system
What is Moore’s Law?
● States that the number of transistors per inch square on circuits will continue to double each year as a trend.
What is an algorithm?
● Algorithm is a calculated proedure that can be different but accomplishes the same goal.
Name and describe the steps involved in computational problem solving?
1. Identify the issue
2. Convert the issue into a mathematical model
3. Create a method to solve the mathematical model
4. Implement your plan/method
5. Evaluate the result; if there is error reassess the problem and try different processes
Describe semantics versus syntax.
● Syntax: refers to the structure of the language (form)
● Semantics: refers to the meaning of the language (content or meaning)
2)Why do you want to be a computer science Engineer? 5 CS companies?
● Computing is embedded in everything we do. Nowadays it is very easy to see the outlining affect computer technology is having on our society. Computer science offers a wide range of jobs and applications. It is the very reason I got interested in studying
Computer Science in college. Opportunity is another reason I am interested in this field.
There are more available jobs than qualified people in the US. A degree in CS will not go to waste. It will provide me a foundation for certain skills. Certain skills such as problem solving, creativity, and logical thinking. This competitive advantage will help me apply these skills to other applications. The most exciting part for me as a student is the uncertainty of what the CS field has to offer next. Computing is a field where it is very hard to predict what might happen next year or the following year. That uncertainty gives
me an excitement to learn and discover. Ultimately I do want to be part of this next generation of computer scientists that solve the next big issue, but I also intend to travel to third world countries and teach communities of underprivileged children how to code.
● Amdoc: is a company that serves 19,000 employees in more than 60 countries. Job requires a degree as well as hands on experience in the CS field. There needs to be basic communication skills and excellent analytical skills.
● Lucidyne Technologies, Inc: Leader in automated Lumber grading. Position requires specific skills. Implement algorithms to classify defects and catch on defect classifications. Maintain code models in python and c++.