Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Name: Joseph Coughlin
1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity means varied and different, for example people from different cultures, Race, backgrounds and religions all live and visit the city I live in making it a very diverse and wonderful place to live.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of: • Interests • Beliefs • Ages • Lifestyles • Personal, social and cultural identities.
The city is live in is called Liverpool, it is an amazing place to live also it has a diverse population which is created through a wide range of people, cultures, races and religions, it is also home to the oldest Black African community in the country and the oldest Chinese community in Europe.
Liverpool is also well known for its sporting interests, history and fashion sense, we have two great well known football teams called Liverpool FC and Everton FC, although football is not the only sporting interest as rugby plays a big part of peoples social interests also.
The people of Liverpool are known as "Scousers” and have a very unique accent.
Liverpool has two cathedrals Anglican and Catholic which dominate the skyline but Greek orthodox, Unitarian and other European churches can be found across Liverpool.
Another great thing about Liverpool is how the young have respect for the elderly which has led to more people of differing ages mixing with each other so you will always see people ranging from new born to eighty plus years of age at any time day of night.
The people of Liverpool have many different lifestyles due to all the different circumstances e.g. employment, you can see people driving expensive cars and going on luxury holidays they usually reside and work in the city centre and you also have people who from Toxteth just outside the centre live in run down homes and have no car and never get to go on holidays.
Also Liverpool is home to the first mosque to be established in England, Liverpool also has a thriving Jewish community with numerous synagogues.
Unemployment has become a very big problem and people are looking for someone to blame which unfortunately is causing a few problems, but mainly everyone is just getting on with their lives in peace.
Liverpool has also got a very big gay and lesbian community and pubs and clubs dedicated to this type of lifestyle.
If I was to make one word up to describe Liverpool it would be `fantastic`.
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
Liverpool is world renowned for being diverse and the people of Liverpool are well known for its openness and tolerance to other beliefs, cultures, races and religions.
The two football teams even though opposite still get on really well with each other unlike other cities in England.
All the different variations in Liverpool make it a very special and unique place to visit and to live.
The people of Liverpool can see the world without leaving there city thanks to how diverse a place it is.
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity: • Enhances your life • Enhances the local community • Enhances this country.
(1)Diversity can and will improve the quality of life because in a diverse community everyone can learn how…