You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 8 pages and is made up of 7 Sections.
Name: Allison Johnson Business & Administration Unit One
Section 1 – Know the employment rights and responsibilities of the employee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information).
• Hours of Work • Date of Commencement of Work • Duties & Responsibilities • Job Title
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment.
• Health & Safety • Data Protection Act • Pay & Pensions
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment.
• Employment rights and responsibilities • Data Protection • Pay and Pensions
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on employment rights and responsibilities. You should identify at least two internal and two external sources of information.
• Trade Union Representatives • Line Managers • Libraries • Employment Handbook • Citizen Advice Bureau
4. Describe how representative bodies can support employees.
Representative bodies support Employees by giving them help and support in the work place these can be Non – Trade Union or Trade Unions.
They help employees by negotiating salaries & pensions, grievances, by attending & representing you at disciplinary hearings regarding your workplace.
5. Briefly describe employer and employee responsibilities for equality and diversity in a business environment. You should give at least two employer responsibilities and two employee responsibilities.
If possible, provide relevant equality and diversity procedures from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
Employers Responsibilities • Ensure that Line Managers appreciate diversity and promote fair and proper treatment • Develop procedures that address equality and diversity issues
Employees’ responsibilities • To avoid Discrimination • To have a moral right to treat people fairly
6. Briefly explain the benefits of making sure equality and diversity procedures are followed in a business environment. Your answer should include one benefit for the employer, one benefit for the employee and one benefit for the overall organisation.
Employer - optimises pool of candidates for positions
Employee - Improved job satisfaction due to sense of needs being valued or ability to meet basic cultural requirements if policy includes flexibility for religious holidays/observances etc.
Organisation - source of insight into culture of target populations
Section 2 – Understand the purpose of health, safety and security procedures in a business environment
1. Identify employer and employee responsibilities for health, safety and security.
If possible, provide relevant health, safety and security policies / documents from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
It is the Employers legal duty to protect the health, welfare