al Structure of Initech
A review of the movie
By: Kyle Allen
This presentation will analyze these areas of organizational behavior: Motivation
• Working conditions are unfavorable
• There needs to be favorable or good working conditions in order for the employees to feel motivated about the work they are doing.
• Employees in the movie aren’t excited to be associated with the workplace
• Employee Milton keeps getting moved to basement where the cockroaches are and doesn’t get a paycheck anymore. He states that he wants to torch the building and eventually does it. This shows major lack of motivation and proves that he hates the job.
• A managers job is to get the work done by his/her employees.
• The motivational theories view is that managers have the power motivate their employees.
• Managers choose the degree of motivation that employees are going to display by first understanding human nature
• The workers are constantly be harassed by management.
Especially Bill Lumbergh, the Vice President of the company. • If they want to enhance the employees motivation they should show appreciation towards their employees.
• The constant harassment proves that management doesn’t have the knowledge to learn the needs and wants of each individual employee.
• This is demotivating factor as the employer fails to show any appreciation or praise. This will make the employees slack off or under perform tasks because they already know that no praise or appreciation will be coming.
Other problems within the Initech
More than one boss
Excessive management in a small company like this can confuse the the staff as they can only really have one true master. This confusion will lead to a lack in motivation They display a weird since of promotional behaviror
Promotions in the workplace usually come after an employees proves that they are ready to take on harder tasks. Gibson gets promoted for the opposite which is his lack of work or no work at all, and he hates his job. This can be demotivating for other employees who are working harder.
This will most likely result in other employees trying to act lazy or take on similar traits that Gibson has.
• Although salary is never directly discussed in the movie Office
Space, it’s the reason why Gibson doesn’t quit his job that he is always talking about wanting to leave. He knows that they get paid at the end of the month and that he needs the money to pay his bills.
• This still doesn’t prevent him from doing things like removing inspirational banners from the workplace due to the fact that he has no motivation except feeling trapped by bills and needing to keep his salary.
Group Dynamics are the behavior characteristics in a group.
They can affect organizational performance if the employees have negative attitudes towards their workplace.
• This is common when the employees welfare isn’t taken care of by the employer and when no fairness is shown.
In the movie this leads to all the employees planning a plot against the company.
• The employees all have different complaints to why they hate their job, however they do have one thing in common, that they hate their job. Management at Initech seemed to not be listening to any complaints from the employees which has resulted in them keeping complaints to themselves because they don’t want to approach management.
The unapproachable management that is unwilling fix problems is the underlining reason to why the group teams up to take the company down.
• Since they don’t feel motivated and also feel that the workplace owes them, they decide to steal money as a group.
• When group dynamics come together especially from evils that are displayed in their workplace they can be a strong driving force.
• What further drives this group is that each member