Expectations of Originality
This form sets out the requirements for originality for work submitted by students in the Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science. Submissions such as assignments, lab reports, project reports, computer programs and take-home exams must conform to the requirements stated on this form and to the Academic Code of Conduct.
The course outline may stipulate additional requirements for the course.
1. Your submissions must be your own original work. Group submissions must be the original work of the students in the group.
2. Direct quotations must not exceed 5% of the content of a report, must be enclosed in quotation marks, and must be attributed to the source by a numerical reference citation1. Note that engineering reports rarely contain direct quotations.
3. Material paraphrased or taken from a source must be attributed to the source by a numerical reference citation. 4. Text that is inserted from a web site must be enclosed in quotation marks and attributed to the web site by numerical reference citation.
5. Drawings, diagrams, photos, maps or other visual material taken from a source must be attributed to that source by a numerical reference citation.
6. No part of any assignment, lab report or project report submitted for this course can be submitted for any other course.
7. In preparing your submissions, the work of other past or present students cannot be consulted, used, copied, paraphrased or relied upon in any manner whatsoever.
8. Your submissions must consist entirely of your own or your group’s ideas, observations, calculations, information and conclusions, except for statements attributed to sources by numerical citation.
9. Your submissions cannot be edited or revised by any other student.
10. For lab reports, the data must be obtained from your own or your lab group’s experimental work.
11. For software, the code must be composed by you or by the group submitting the work, except for code that is attributed to its sources by numerical reference.
You must write one of the following statements on each piece of work that you submit:
For individual work: “I certify that this