Procedure: Two parts make up the lab. The first is with common eggs and a few household items at home. The second deals with elodea leaves that will be done in class.
Measure the circumference of two the middle of the egg when they are raw.
Put them in vinegar raw and let them sit at least for twenty-four hours.
Measure them again.
Take the raw egg and put it under running water. Carefully and gently rub the egg.
Take one of the raw eggs and place it in corn syrup and one in drinking water over night.
Measure them again once taken out of the different solutions.
Now switch the eggs, place them in the opposite solution.
Make sure to take pictures at every step.
2. Elodea leaf
Take an elodea leaf and make a wet mount slide of water and place it under the microscope. Now draw where the chloroplasts, cell membrane, and cell wall. Now put alt solution on the slide and make the same observations.
Data: On the last page.
1. Hypertonic is high concentration . Hypotonic is low concentration. Isotonic is even or the same concentration.
2. Our fingertips become wrinkled to create more surface area for water to come in our body and to be isotonic. The water in the bathtub is hypotonic compared to the water in our body which is hypertonic so water comes in our body to become isotonic. (diagram on the back)
3. We come out of the ocean thirsty because our body is trying to become isotonic with the ocean water. The ocean water is hypertonic compared to our body water so water is taken out of our body to become isotonic and have the same amount of concentration. We have to use the bathroom when we go to a fresh water pool because the water in the pool is hypotonic compared to the water in our body which is hypertonic. Water is distributed in our body in order to become isotonic because salt cannot transfer but water can. (diagram on the back)
4. Solvents are having things being dissolved into them and the solutes are things that are being dissolved. An example of solvents and solutes are water and protein powder. The water is the solvent because the protein powder will be dissolved into it. The protein powder is the solute because it is being dissolved into the water.
5. Phagocytosis is when a cell can digest and swallow up harmful things that can make us sick or bacteria. Semipermeable is when certain things can go through and others cannot. Phinocytosis is when it brings in liquid and creates a vacuole. (diagram on the back)
6. Concentration gradient is when it will go from most concentrated until everything is the same and even. Facilitated diffusion goes down a concentration gradient and active transport goes up a concentration gradient.(diagram on back)