Title: A Career in Disability Services
Specific Purpose: To inform my audience about a career in Disability Services
A. "Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that, so it goes on flying anyway"
- Mary Kay Ash.
This quote highlights the important role that a career in Disability Services can play in the lives of individuals with disabilities. In this field, you assure that the disabled who attend learning facilities have a nurturing, supportive environment in which they can develop the skills necessary to succeed socially and academically.
B. An occupation in Disability Services offers you a meaningful career, opportunity for advancement and competitive salaries.
1. Meaningful career
2. Opportunity for advancement
3. Competitive salaries
c. I will explain three aspects that you can expect in a career within the field of Disability Services.
[Transition: Let’s start by explaining what the most common job in this field, a Director of Disability Services, is and does.]
II. Body-First Main Point: Meaningful Career
A. A Director of Disability Services assures equal opportunity, access and participation in the courses, programs, activities, services of facilities.
1. Meaningful Career:
a) In this career you will assist individuals to get the services they need to live their lives independently.
(1) Develops and conducts trainings and workshops for administrators, faculty, staff, and students about the responsibilities for advocacy, accommodations and accessibility for students with disabilities.
(2) Helping students attain their dreams while overcoming obstacles and seemingly insurmountable odds stacked against them. [Transition: While I have mainly concentrated on this career as it relates in an Education setting, this occupation can lead to numerous employment opportunities.]
III. Second Main Point: Opportunity for advancement
A. A Director of Disability Services can obtain expert status in their field as their experience and knowledge grows.
1. Opportunity for advancement:
a) In this career those who are considered experts have served several years and have extensive knowledge of ADA laws.
(1) Can advance to careers in Government agencies, such as Vocational Rehabilitation, Area Agency on Aging and Disabilities, Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities.
(2) ADA lawyers are considered experts in this field because of their unique understanding of the law and how the courts will interpret it and because of their help to eradicate disability discrimination.
[Transition: Once you began to decide which of the many areas to advance to within this career path, you may be surprised to know that the compensation opportunities are equally abundant.]
IV. Main Point 3: Competitive salaries
1. Competitive salaries:
a) A Director of Disability Services can expect a varied range in salary that is commensurate with experience.
(1) The salary ranges for various jobs in this occupation is $25,000-$50,000 and in some cases, higher.
(2) Those in this field that are