Do we use it?...
Nuclear Explosions https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsnL6g mGOZA 4
The Cold War, 1945-1991
The “Superpowers” and the Division of Europe
• Response Paper #6
• Question: Who bears responsibility for the Cold War – the USA or Soviet Union?
What are the key features of the Cold
Features of The Cold War
- ‘Iron Curtain’ (division of Europe/Germany)
- No direct conflict between US and USSR
• “proxy wars”
• System of global alliances (1st, 2nd, 3rd World)
- Nuclear and conventional arms race
Nuclear warhead stockpiles
Duck and Cover
The End of the War
Questions after WWII
1. What to do w/ nuclear weapons?
2. What to do w/ our Communist allies:
Soviet Union and China?
3. What to do w/ our former enemies:
Germany and Japan?
4. What to do w/ Europe?
The Big Three
The Big Three Meetings
Create a United Nations
D-Day Invasion set
Poland goes to USSR
“Sphere of Influences” proposed
The End of the War
What led The United States and its ally Great
Britain to become enemies with the Soviet
Union after WWII thus starting the Cold War?
Origins of Cold War
• Ideological & historical hostility between
Soviet Union and United States
• Nazi-Soviet Pact (1939-41)
• Alliance of Convenience (1941-45)
• Soviet Intentions in E. Europe
• Mutual distrust/ misunderstandings
Page 151 – Truman Doctrine
What was the Truman Doctrine?
Why was the USA sending aid to
Greece and Turkey?
Denazification (West Germany)
– Nuremberg Trials (1945-46)
• 24 defendants; 12 death; 6 long prison terms – “Denazification” in West Germany
• 3 million persons identified – "rehabilitation"
Next Monday - The Holocaust in Film:
Meet in Room CB 102/104 to partake in the Arts and Science Festival’s movie and speaker series “Death, Persecution and Hope.” We will watch the movie: “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas”.
Readings: Chapters 4, 10, and 12 in “A Boy in the Striped Pajamas”
Response Paper #7
• Question: What was beyond the fence in
Bruno’s backyard? What do we learn about the people in the striped pajamas when Bruno and Shmuel find each other? • Please ask questions about the movie!
20,000,000 to 30,000,000 murdered or executed by
Including men, women, handicapped, aged, sick, prisoners of war, forced laborers, camp inmates, critics, homosexuals, Jews, Slavs, Serbs, Germans,
Czechs, Italians, Poles, French, Ukrainians, Dutch etc. Adolf Hitler
• National Socialist German
Workers Party (NSDAP)
• Beer Hall Putsch (1923)
• Leadership Cult: Führer
Mien Kampf Quotes
“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”
“By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise.”
“The receptivity of the masses is very limited, their intelligence is small, but their power of forgetting is enormous.”
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
“Woman's world is her husband, her family, her children and her home. We do not find it right when she presses into the world of men.”
“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions.”
“Accordingly, to send to death mercilessly and without compassion, men, women, and children of Polish and
Jewish derivation and language. Thus shall we gain the living space (Lebensraum) which we need. Who, after all, speaks to-day of the annihilation of the
Establishing the Racial State:
• Nuremberg Laws (Sept 1935):
–Law for Protection of German Blood and
–Kristallnacht, Nov 9-10, 1938
(Night of Broken Glass)