1. What is an earthquake? What causes an earthquake?
2. What is the elastic rebound theory?
3. What is the focus of an earthquake? Epicenter?
4. Name the three types of seismic waves and characteristics of each.
5. What is a seismograph?
6. What is a travel-time curve and what is it used for?
7. What is depth of focus?
8. Explain the Modified Mercalli Scale and how is it used?
9. What is intensity? Magnitude?
10. What is the Richter Scale and what does it measure?
11. What effects do earthquakes have on the Earth?
12. What is a tsunami or seismic sea wave?
13. Is it correct to call these seismic sea waves tidal waves? Why or why not?
14. Name 3 major zones of earthquake activity.
15. What are the 3 types of plate boundaries? Explain each.
16. What is subduction?
INTERIOR OF THE EARTH:
1. What is geophysics?
2. What is seismic reflection?
3. What is seismic refraction?
4. What is the Mohorovicic discontinuity (Moho)?
5. What is the asthenosphere?
6. What is the P-wave shadow zone?
7. What is the S-wave shadow zone?
8. What are the different types of seismic waves? List several characteristics about each.
9. What is a magnetic field?
10. List 3 characteristics of the crust.
11. List 3 characteristics of the mantle.
12. List 3 characteristics of the core.
PLATE TECTONICS & DEFORMATION OF THE CONTINENTAL CRUST:
1. Explain the theory of Continental Drift. Who proposed this theory? And what were his lines of evidence supporting his theory? What was Pangaea? What were Gondwanaland and Laurasia?
2. Explain the theory of sea-floor spreading. Who proposed it?
3. Explain the theory of polar wandering.
4. Explain the theory of plate tectonics.
5. Explain the idea of marine magnetic anomalies. Who is credited with this idea?
6. What are lithospheric plates?
7. What are the three types of plate boundaries?
8. What are the three types of converging plate boundaries?
9. What are transform fault boundaries? Sketch a diagram of one.…