Good: Tobacco and Human Services Smoking Essay

Submitted By getworkdone77
Words: 1431
Pages: 6

MORE TO SAY PERSUASIVE
I. One of the largest and most problematic health issues in our society is smoking. Even though smoking is the single most preventable cause of death it Currently is the leading cause of death in our country. Due to its harmful and addicting contents it kills millions of people each year. All it takes is one simple law to change and it could save millions of peoples lives. Since there is such a high number of deaths, enormous numbers of smoking related issues, and the high costs are all reasons why smoking should be made illegal. T: One hundred years ago tobacco use was not a significant cause of illness or death in the United States. II. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Smoking kills an estimated 443,000 Americans each year, with 50,000 of these deaths coming from exposure to secondhand smoking. Almost one in every five adults smoke which equals around 45 million adults all together. Along with one in five high school seniors that smoke cigarettes. In a study that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services did in 2008 they came to scary conclusion. Their study shows that half of adults who continue to smoke will die from smoking-related issues. Many who are not in that half will suffer from cancer, stroke, heart attack, and other serious tobacco- related diseases. Many people who smoke cigarettes do not know exactly what they're smoking. Things such as nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide, ammonia, arsenic, and many more. Ammonia, this is a commonly used household cleaner, found in cigarettes. Arsenic, a poison, is found in rat poisons to kill them, also found in cigarettes. Carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas, also found in cigarettes. Nicotine, a very highly addictive drug, found in cigarettes. In the article whats in a cigarette, it explains Nicotine in small doses acts as a stimulant to the brain. In large doses, it's a depressant, inhibiting the flow of signals between nerve cells. In even larger doses, it's a lethal poison, affecting the heart, blood vessels, and hormones. Nicotine in the bloodstream acts to make the smoker feel calm. As a cigarette is smoked, the amount of tar inhaled into the lungs increases, and the last puff contains more than twice as much tar as the first puff. Carbon monoxide makes it harder for red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout the body. Tar is a mixture of substances that together form a sticky mass in the lungs. Most of the chemicals inhaled in cigarette smoke stay in the lungs. The more you inhale, the better it feels—and the greater the damage to your lungs. As you can see all of these things found in cigarettes seem like they should not be inhaled into the lungs at all. If you love and care for someone who smokes you will try to pass this information to them for it may save their life someday. T: While physically smoking the cigarette has enormous affects on a person, it also affects the people who around the smoke, not physically hitting the cigarette.
III. According to the University of Minnesota's division of Periodontology for every eight smokers, there is one innocent life lost to secondhand smoking. SHS is a combination of mainstream smoke which is smoke axhaled by smokers, and sidestream smoke which is smoke given off by the burning end of a cigarette. It is estimates that only 15% of cigarette smoke gets inhaled by the smoker. The remaining 85% lingers in the air for everyone else to beathe in. SHS is the third leading preventable cause of disability and early death. SHS contains over 4000 chemicals including more than 40 cancer causing agents and 200 known poisons. SHS has been classified as a Class A carcinogen which is a substance known to cause cancer in humans. It contains twice as much tar and nicotine per unit bolume as does smoke inhaled from a cigarette. IT contains 3X as much cancer-causeing benzpyrene, 5X as much carbon monoxide, and 50% more ammonia. Over the past two decades, medical research has…