Use the following to assist you in preparing for your Unit Test. Be sure to use the list of topics covered in class to study (all topics may not be represented here.
Clearly indicate your choice by circling the most correct answer below.
1. The lungs, nose, and trachea are part of which organ system?
2. The pancreas is part of the ____________ system.
3. The frog has a ____ chambered heart.
4. The blood cells that carry oxygen are the:
f) red blood cells
g) white blood cells
5. Which of the following is the cell’s main energy providing compound?
6. This heart chamber receives oxygen-poor blood.
a) right atrium
b) left atrium
c) right ventricle
d) left ventricle
7. Blood leaving capillaries enters
a) an arteriole
b) a venule
c) a vein
d) an artery
8. You are looking at a micrograph of a dust mite. You can clearly see the three-dimensional (3-D) external features of the critter. Based on this you know the micrograph was acquired using
a) a compound light microscope
b) a transmission electron microscope
c) a scanning electron microscope
d) the camera on a cell phone
9. Chose the answer that includes, in order, the words that make the following statement true.
Anatomy is the study of the ____________ of an organism, whereas Physiology is the study of their _________________________.
a) plants; animals
b) parts; function
c) function; parts
d) likes; dislikes
10. Air enters your lungs by the process of:
11. The hair-like structures lining the respiratory tract that beat continuously to move unwanted particles back into the nose and throat are the:
12. After chyme leaves the stomach it enters the
c) small intestine
d) large intestine
13. Which of the following does not correctly pair an organ with its organ system?
a) brain – nervous system
b) heart – circulatory system
c) testes – respiratory system
d) liver – digestive system
14. The structure in the plant cell that performs photosynthesis is the:
a) cell wall
15. The nerves are part of the ____________ system.
Matching Section (/11): Place the correct letter from column B beside the correct description from column A in the spaces provided below.
Used to visualize bones.
Breaks down amylase.
Regulates what enters and leaves the cell.
C. Respiratory System
Transports blood, gases, and nutrients/wastes around the body.
Chemical and physical breakdown of food is the major job of this organ system.
F. Cell membrane
Location of mucous producing and ciliated epithelial cells.
Allows plant cells to perform photosynthesis.
H. Digestive System
Lungs, trachea, and blood vessels are the major organs of this system.
Control centre of the cell.
K. Circulatory System
Complete: Fill in the blanks to complete the statements below. (9)
1. The word ‘pulmonary’ refers to ______________________.
2. The aorta is the largest _____________ of the body.
3. The majority of nutrients are absorbed in the _______________________.
4. Veins carry blood ____________________________ the heart.
5. The type of imaging technology using radio signals in a magnetic field is called _____________________________.
6. All gas exchange occurs in _____________ beds.
7. The vena cava delivers blood from the tissues of the body to the ______ atrium
8. Sodium bicarbonate is released by the __________________ to neutralize