Instructions: Complete for homework and bring to next week’s class.
To complete this activity, visit the Ontario Ministry of Labour website: www.labour.gov.on.ca . Click the Ministry of Labour English or French link and then select the tab entitled “Employment Standards”.
Answer the following questions:
(1) What is the purpose of the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000?
ANS:- The purpose of ontario employment standards act is people who are seeking employment with temporary help agencies and, in some cases, to clients of such agencies, even though the client business is not the employer of the person filing a claim under the esa.
(2) List the public holidays that are covered under the ESA.
ANS:- The public holidays that are coverd under esa are:-
1. New years day
2. Family day
3. Good Friday
4. Victoria day
5. Canada day
6. Labour day
7. Thanksgiving day
8. Chirstmas day
9. Boxing day
(3) (i) What is the current general minimum wage rate? (ii) What are the criterias to be entitled to the student minimum wage rate? (iii) What is the current student minimum wage rate?
ANS:- i)Current general minimum wage rate is $10.25 per hour.
ii)Student wage criterias:- The rates applies to the students under the age of 18 who work 28 hours a week or less when school in session or work during the school break or Summer holidays.
iii) current student minimum wage rate is $9.60 per hour.
(4) How many consecutive hours must an employee work to receive at least a 30 minute eating period?
ANS:- An employee should not work more than 5 consecutive hours to recive at least a 30 minute eating period.
(5) (a) How many hours in a week must an employee work to be entitled to overtime? (b) What is the overtime rate?
ANS:- An employee must work 44 hours in a week to be ebtitled to overtime
b) The overtime rate is 1½ times the employees regular rate of pay.
(6) (a) How much vacation time must an employer provide an employee? (b) How much vacation pay must an employer provide an employee?
ANS:- An employer must provide two weeks of vacation time after each 12 months of work.
b) An employer must provide 4 percent of gross wage.
(7) What is the statutory notice required when terminating the employment of an employee who has been continuously employed for two (2) years?
ANS:- when terminating the employement of an employee, an employer must not reduce the employees wage rate.and for each week,pay the employee the wage he or she is entitled to.
(8) According the ESA, how many years must an employee work for an employer to qualify for severance pay?
ANS:- An employee must work for 26 weeks for an employer to qualify for severance pay.
(9) If an employee, in Ontario, feels that their rights have been violated under this legislation, what can they do?
ANS:- if an employee in Ontario feels that their rights have been violated under this legislation then they can file a claim against that.
(10) List the various tools available at this website.
ANS:- various tools available at this website are:-
1) Public holiday pay calculator
2) Hours of work and overtime tool