1) Moynihan Report-argued that most of the problems facing African Americans were caused by a “tightening tangle of pathology” within the black family.
2) Cultural Appropriation-occurs when members of one ethnic or racial group adopt a cultural product associated with another.
3) White Nationalist Organizations-believe whites to be genetically superior to African Americans and Hispanics and vie for a separate exclusively white country.
4) Brown vs. Board of Education-the 1954 Supreme Court case that dismantled the legal basis of racial segregation in schools.
5) Involuntary Minorities-racial groups brought to or incorporated into the US against their will.
6) Fallacy of Undifferentiating Difference-takes racial histories of different nonwhites and flattens them.
7) Double Consciousness-A way of thinking about yourself through two pairs of eyes, one pair belonging to white America, the other belonging to your racial or ethnic group.
8) Ethnicity-shared lifestyles informed by cultural, historical and/or religious/national affiliations.
9) Ethnocentrism-intentionally or unintentionally evaluating another culture in terms of your own cultures assumptions and viewing the other culture as inferior to your own.
10) White Privilege-a collection of unearned cultural, political, social and economic advantages and privileges possessed by people of Anglo European ancestry or those who pass as such.
11) Race-is a symbolic category based on phenotype or ancestry and constructed according to specific social and historical contexts that is misrecognized as a natural category.
12) Racial Steering- real estate agents show white customers houses in all white areas; black customers houses in all black or racially mixed areas.
13) Superficial Representation- the process of appointing to political positions, nonwhites disconnected from the needs and problems of most nonwhite citizens.
14) Substantive Representation- genuine