Essay on Illness: The Child

Submitted By Saieh1989
Words: 1819
Pages: 8


I appreciate that as a working parent you need to be able to go to work, however if your child is unwell then they will be better cared for I their own home with a parent. I am happy to care for children with minor coughs or colds but will not care for children who are very unwell. Infectious or running a high temperature. I have to go out each day to do school runs and need to consider the welfare of all the children in my care.

If your child has had diarrhoea or sickness in the last twenty four hours, please do not bring them but call and let me know.

I will contact you if one of my own children is not well, inform you of the illness/symptoms and if I am able to work. This then allows you to make an informed decision as to whether to bring your child or not. cident and Emergency Policy

It is my absolute priority to keep children safe while they are in my care, and I will take every measure I can protect your child from hurting itself. However, sometimes accidents happen.

My premises have been checked and they meet the national standards for childminding outlined by Ofsted. I also regularly review, update and practice safety routines.

I can administer basic first aid treatment, and my first aid box is clearly labelled and easily accessible. Parent contact numbers are with the first aid box.

If there is an accident:
•I will comfort and reassure the injured child while making sure that the other children in my care are safe.
•I will assess the extent of the injuries and if necessary call for medical support/ambulance.
•I will carry out any first aid procedures that are necessary and that I have been trained to do.
•Once the child is more settled I will contact you as soon as possible to inform you of that accident and if necessary ask you to return to care for your child or meet me at the hospital.
•If I have to accompany or take a child to hospital, I will either take the other children with me, or call my emergency back up cover. This will be another registered childminder or known responsible adult.

If there is an accident or emergency, my emergency back up cover may contact you and you will be expected to collect your child straight away.

After every accident, however minor, I will
•Complete a report in my accident book
•Ask you to sign the report and then provide you with a copy.

If the incident requires any medical treatment I will:
•Inform Ofsted
•Inform my insurance company

It is important that you keep me informed regarding your child's condition following an accident and if you have sought any medical advice.


My first responsibility and priority is towards the children in my care. I have received training on safe guarding children and am aware of the signs and symptoms of child abuse; physical, emotional, sexual and those of neglect.

If I am concerned about a child's welfare, I may contact the local authority, the NSPCC, Pacey or other relevant support services for advice, providing this does not affect the confidentiality. If I have reason to believe that any child in my care is being abused in any way, I will report the matter to the duty social worker for Stockport Social Services. Under these circumstances, I will not be able to keep information relating to the child confidential, but will need to share it with Ofsted, Social Services and the police if requested.

You should notify me of any concerns you have about your child and any accidents, incidents or injuries affecting your child, which will be recorded. I will work together with you to make sure the care of your child is consistent. Please see my Working with Parents policy.

If an allegation is made against me, I will report it to Ofsted and social services following the Safeguarding Children Board procedures.I will also contact Pacey's safeguarding children service on for advice and support.

To maintain a smooth transition for the children in my