Dr. Geren Weitman
University of Phoenix Material
Critical Issue Analysis
After reading the selected critical issue, use the following questions to analyze the issue.
1. What are at least two facts presented by each side of the critical issue? The two facts that are presented on each side is that studies have proven that the individuals that have participated in the treatment were able to achieve abstinence. A second fact was that experts were not able to determine who can take positive usage to the alcohol use by moderating it.
2. What are at least two opinions presented by each side of the critical issue? From referencing the opinion’s of the authors one believes that abstinence is the most safe and honest goal for the individuals that are dependent on alcohol vs. the other author that believes many people can be successful in controlling their efforts of drinking if they are seeking professional guidance help and support.
3. What are some of the strengths associated with the Pro side of the issue? What are some of the weaknesses? A strength that are associated with the pro side are people who seek abstinence with their problem will eventually decrease the usage of drinking, a weakness to this side would be if the individual never decreases their drinking and the usage continues to get worse before getting better.
4. What are some of the strengths associated with the Con side of the issue? What are some of the weaknesses? The strength that is associated with the Con side is that an individual can seek counseling from a support group within the community, and a weakness to this is someone trying to control their drinking by seeking professional help but they may not be physically ready so this could cause a relapse.
5. How credible were the authors of each argument? Explain your answer. Each author has maintained major credibility in presenting arguments to why abstinence should be used or not, from reviewing of one authors approach and believing that if a person seeks that professional, help such as AA meetings and possible being around others that too are suffering from this same struggle then it could possible help their situation vs. someone that is being abstinence by saying if a person spends majority of their life drinking alcohol by the time they reach treatment they have tried to find numerous ways to stop drinking from changing the time of day of drinking. By discontinuing these habits can lead to abstinence of drinking and it was noted that abstinence is a model to the 12 step programs.
6. Based on the statements presented in this critical issue, which author do you agree with? Why? Based on the statements that each other has presented the case I can co side with the most is the abstinence and the different approaches that are associated with this idea although it is coexisting with the 12 step program. For example my mother-in- law is a recovering alcohol who prefers drinking beers every day and all weekend. We tried to seek counseling for her at a