Attention-Getter: Do you know what this is? This is worsening your asthma at the age of 10 and you developing lung cancer by the age of 30. According to the Centers for Disease Control there are 1 in 11 children with asthma (Centers, 2012a) and approximately 208,000 people diagnosed with lung cancer (Centers, 2012b). Fortunately, there is a better way.
Credibility: I’m sure you’ve all heard about or seen windmills and solar panels. For those of you here on Okinawa there’s no way you haven’t seen the giant white windmills and street lights equipped with solar panels. These forms of alternative energy are a growing trend here on Okinawa as the island strives to free itself from energy dependence …show more content…
12. The Natural Resource Defense Council points out that by eliminating just subsidies for fossil fuel consumption, this would reduce carbon dioxide emission 5% by 2020. (Natural, 2012)
13. Additionally, the DOE declared wind power installation in the US provides enough electricity to avert 79 million tons of CO2, which is equivalent to taking 14 million cars off the road. (United, 2012)
E. The second advantage that comes to mind would be its effect on the economy. According to the Department of Energy (United, 2012):
14. It will promote new job creation by investing in infrastructure and creating long-term skilled job.
15. 126 companies have already announced 46,000 new jobs.
16. It can also help meet our nation’s energy needs; even a small wind farm can generate enough electricity power 9,000 homes.
F. Finally, you might be thinking, are there any perks for using alternative energy? The Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency lists them by state and (Database, 2012):
17. Currently 24 states offer Tax credits with more to be added in the future.
18. Not to mention there are numerous federal grant programs that will help you to utilize some source of alternative energy.
Today I’ve given you the