To inform the audience about
March 27, 2014
A. She has had more than 80 careers in her lifetime, from a Rock Star to a paleontologist, to a Presidential candidate. Many of you in this room have probably either purchased or owned one…she is Barbie!!
B. With her good looks, charm, and charisma, she won audiences over in record time.
C. Preview of Main Points:
1. First, I will discuss the Origination of Barbie.
2. Second, I will discuss her growing popularity.
3. Finally, I will discuss what the affect she had had on little girls and what is known as Barbie backlash.
D. I have been fascinated by the history of Barbie for as long as I can remember. I have owned an …show more content…
2. The average age of collectors is 40.
3. 90% of collectors are women.
4. Highest paid for a collectible so far is $17,000.
III. Final Main Point: The Affect Barbie had had on little girls and what is known as “Barbie Backlash”
A. Barbie Backlash
1. Many parents had a concern of her grown-up features.
2. Barbie gave young girls an unrealistic view of women
3. Caused many of them to be insecure about their own bodies.
B. Barbie as a real women
1. Her measurements would be a 36 inch bust, an 18 inch waist, and a 33 inch hip.
2. She would be capable of walking.
3. She wouldn’t even be able to hold her own head up because of how tiny her neck is compared to her head.
4. She wouldn’t be able to lift anything either because of her wrists being so tiny!
C. Changing of Barbie
1. Barbie did come out with a more realistic figure in 1998
a) Although her figure is still not realistic, she was more reflective of the average Barbie owner (girls ages 3 to 11).
b) Most dramatic change was to her feet, she is now able to stand on her own two feet.
Conclusion: All in all, Barbie is just a doll! She has made a name for herself, and she shows young girls they can be whatever they want to be when they grow up. Have whatever career they put their mind to, and still be fashionable doing it!! One thing is for sure that the “Most Collectible Doll in the World” has made a place for herself in pop culture history, yesterday, today,