Music of the World
1. Describe some of the influence of Latin music in the US in the early part of the twentieth century. – The music that the Latin culture had was different to America and when Latin music was introduced, reggae and Latin jazz was a new style to Americans and became popular. The music caused cultural infusion and new cultures to be welcome.
2. What was the significance of "Machito and His Afro-Cubans"? – The significance of “Machito and His Afro-Cubans” was that the band caused Africa to be acknowledged publicly for the first time.
3. How did Dizzy Gillespie incorporate Latin music into his music? – Latin music was incorporated into Dizzy Gillespie’s music because he wanted to try something new with the way jazz sounded. He got Chano Pozo to play the conga at one of his concerts and Dizzy enjoyed the sound.
4. What was the Palladium? – The palladium was a dance studio which is home of the Mambo.
5. How did the television and films increase the exposure of the US to Latin music? – Television and films made it possible for Latin music to reach a larger and newer audience.
6. How did Latin music influence rock music? – Latin music influenced rock music by having Latin rhythm motifs make an appearance repeatedly in rock music.
7. Why do you think Latin music had such a great influence on the development of popular music? – I personally think Latin music had such a great influence on the