Text Book Reference: Chapter 16
Lab Manual Exercise: 31
Bonus Lab Reports: 31
Goals for this lab:
1. Identify the blood cells on a slide as well as my web site
2. Identify the difference blood abnormalities on slides as well as my web site
Part I: Blood
1. What is blood composed of?
Formed elements & plasma
2. Name all of the white blood cells.
Neutrophils, Eosinophils, Basophils, Monocytes, Lymphocytes
3. What cells produce platelets?
4. Does a mature RBC contain a nucleus?
5. What chemicals are secreted by your granular leukocytes & what are their functions?
Neutrophils – lysozyme – antibacterial
Eosinophils – major basic protein – anti-parasitic worm agent
Basophils – Histamine – vasodilator & Heparin - anticoagulant
6. What does a plasma cell secrete?
7. What does a cytotoxic T-cell secrete?
8. What is the function of a macrophage after phagocytizing a pathogen to stimulate the specific immune response?
Presents the antigenic portion of the pathogen to B & T-cells via MHC class II receptors
9. Name the plasma proteins and the function of each.
Albumins – maintain osmotic pressure
Globulins – forms antibody structure
Fibrinogens – blood clotting
Normal blood smear (with RBCs, Platelets, Monocytes, Lymphocytes, Basophils, Neutrophils, Eosinophils)
B200 – Human Anatomy Lab Name ________________________________