123 Science Mystery Lab Report
Before this lab I learned many things. I learned baking soda is a chemical salt with a scientific term written as NaHC03. It is also a bicarbonate of soda. I also learned, corn starch is used as a thickener and is made from the endosperm of corn, powdered sugar is granulated into a fine powder and used to make smooth icings, water is a ubiquitous chemical substance, vinegar is produced by the oxidation of alcohol in wine or cider and is a diluted acetic acid, and that iodine solution is for killing bacteria and is made from iodine and potassium iodide.
Hypothesis: I predict baking soda with vinegar and iodine solution will create a chemical change, and powdered sugar with iodine solution will be a chemical change too. The rest of the combinations I predicted that they would be physical changes.
1. Place a small amount of each white powder in the well plate. Each powder will fill three wells. (Make sure to remember where you put each substance.)
2. Drop 3 or 4 drops of water in the well containing Mystery Powder 1. Write down observations in a table like the one below:
Make a note to tell if there was a physical or chemical change.
3. Drop 3 or 4 drops of vinegar into the second well containing Mystery Powder 1. Write down your observations.
4. Drop 3 or 4 drops of iodine solution into the third well containing Mystery Powder 1. Write down your observations.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for the rest of the powders.
From my observations, I can conclude…