Directions: Using the information found at the sites available, answer each question very carefully. These responses will help you to prepare for the Exam .
1. What are the three most common eating disorders? a. anorexia nervosa
b. bulimia nervosa c. binge eating disorder
Read the information regarding Anorexia Nervosa
2. Define anorexia nervosa.
Limited intake or self starvation
3. Who is at risk for development of anorexia nervosa? (Include information about gender, race, socioeconomic background, etc)
No barrier but common in Caucasians in upper/middle class, 13 - 20, lots of gymnasts, atheletes, models
4. What are five effects that anorexia nervosa may have on the body?
Yellow skin, cant stand the cold, lowered blood pressure, potassium deficiency, loss of menstrual cycle
Read the information regarding Bulimia Nervosa 5. Define bulimia nervosa.
The cycle of binging and purging and abusing laxatives
6. Who is at risk for development of bulimia nervosa? (Include information about gender, race, socioeconomic background, etc.)
16-21 again ppl who have to keep an image. Gymnasts. Athletes, ect
7. What are five effects that bulimia nervosa may have on the body?
Tooth decay, esophagus rupture, heart failure, swollen salivary glans, tiredness, dehydration
Read the information regarding Binge Eating Disorder
8. Define binge eating disorder.
Eat a lot but don’t purge afterwards in a short amount of time
They feel guilty about it after
Eat until they are uncomfortably full
9. Who is at risk for development of binge eating disorder? (include information about gender, race, socioeconomic background, etc)
To anyone at anytime but usually nto recognized until adulthood
10. What are three effects that binge eating disorder may have on the body?
Weight gain, stress, stress of the body
Note: The “key” difference between bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder- people that suffer from bulimia nervosa use compensatory measures (diuretics, laxatives, vomiting, and excessive exercise) to rid them of the excess calories they consume. People suffering from BED binge, but do not “purge” the excess calories.
Read the information on treatment of eating disorders.
11. List three “key players” in the treatment of an eating disorder, and identify their role in the treatment.
1. Adequate nutrition 2. Stopping excessive exercise 3. Stopping purging
12. Identify at least two treatment centers in your community for eating disorders.
*List name, address and phone number and the services that are provided.
*You may use your yellow pages to help you in locating these centers.
Read the information on obesity
13. Identify 3 physical factors that may cause obesity.