Test Review: Answers need to be on separate paper (except #15, unless you wish). Due Monday. Check answers. Please have all completed before class Monday; there is NOT enough time to answer every possible question. Monday is for checking answers and clearing up final questions.
Vocabulary: Know the definitions, and differences between each word.
Contact and field forces, Inerita, mass & weight, equilibrium, Force, acceleration, apparent weight, weightlessness, tension, gravitational acceleration & weight,
Contact ForceKey Concepts:
1) What is the primary motion that occurs when a non-zero force is applied to a mass.
2) What does the slope of the Acceleration VS. Force graph tell us?
3) What is the primary unit of Force?
4) 1 N is equivalent to what other unit?______________
5) Be able to draw free body diagrams:
6) Explain Newton’s 1st Law:
7) Explain Newton’s 2nd Law:
8) Explain Newton’s 3rd Law:
9) If velocity is constant, then acceleration is ____________ and net force is _________________
10) The normal force is ALWAYS equal to the weight. True or False.
11) What is N force equal to on an incline?
12) What is N force equal if there is no contact with the surface?
13) What is N force equal to if the contact is against a vertical surface ( wall)?
14) What is N force equal to if the contact force is on a horizontal surface?
15) The symbols of Force, what they stand for, and their general equation:
Their meaning General equation
a. N = _________________________ ____________________________
b. Fg = ________________________ ____________________________
c. f = _________________________ ____________________________
d. Fnet = _______________________ ____________________________
e. F|| = _______________________ ____________________________
f. F| = _______________________ ____________________________
g. Fnet = _______________________ ____________________________
h. Fx = _______________________ ____________________________
i. Fy = _______________________ ____________________________
16) Know how/when to use equations.
a. If given WEIGHT on an incline, and you need to find parallel force, which equation do you use________________________
b. If given mass on an incline, and you need to find parallel force, which equation do you use________________________
c. If given WEIGHT on an incline, and you need to find the normal force, which equation do you use________________________
d. If given WEIGHT on an incline, and you need to find perpendicular force, which equation do you use________________________
e. If given mass on an incline, and you need to find perpendicular or normal force, which equation do you use________________________
f. If looking for net force anywhere which symbol do you use________________________
g. If finding net force when pulling at an angle on a horizontal surface, which General equation do you use? ___________________________
h. If finding net force when pulling at an angle on a horizontal surface, which General equation do you use? ___________________________
i. If something is hanging on the wall at an angle, how would you determine the Vertical component of the Tension?
j. If something is hanging on the wall at an angle, how would you determine the Vertical component of the Tension?
k. If looking for acceleration anywhere, what do you set the equation equal to?________________________
l. These could go on and on and on and on…REVIEW the WORK sheet problems and book questions to try (extra credit, but good practice) are listed here:
Chapter 4. the ones at the end of each section especially #1, 3, 12 and # 38, 40, 55, 41, 42, 44
17) From F =ma : Force and acceleration vectors point in the same direction.
18) For each type of problem, know how to increase or decrease the velocity, acceleration or Force for the scenario given. (ex: If pulling a crate at a 45 degree angle with a