Exercise Chapter 17 Lamb, Hair, McDaniel 7
Personal Selling and Sales Management
Instructions. Use the Exercise Form to answer the questions. Write in complete sentences.
1. a. What is personal selling? b. Describe each of the advantages of personal selling. c. When does personal selling work better than other forms of promotion? d. What is the likelihood that you will become a personal salesperson at some point in your business career? Why? e. Compare personal selling to advertising/sales promotion. Provide examples. (Exhibit 17.1) 2. a. Discuss selling in the technology age. b. What is relationship selling?
c. How is relationship selling different from traditional personal selling? Discuss in detail. (Exhibit 17.2)
d. Describe the end result of relationship selling.
3. a. What is customer relationship management? b. Implementation of a CRM system assumes two key points. What are they? c. Define and explain the customer-centric focus. d. What does learning in a CRM environment involve? Explain.
. e. Describe knowledge management. f. What does empowerment involve? g. When do interactions occur? Who defines the terms of the interaction? Provide examples. h. What differentiates CRM from other strategic initiatives? Provide examples.
4. a. What are touch points? Provide examples. b. Discuss/explain the Customer-Centric Approach for managing customer interactions. (Exhibit 17.3) c. What are web-based interactions? d. Explain social CRM. e. Describe the net promoter score. f. What are point-of-sale interactions? g. What is point-of-sale information used for?
5. a. Explain how data can be obtained from channel interactions. Provide examples.
b. What types of information can be obtained from interactions between the customer and the company? c. Who owns consumer data collected by a company? d. Should a company sell the data collected on its customers? Provide the pros and cons. * e. What does it mean to “leverage customer information?” f. List, do not discuss, all the common CRM marketing database applications. (Exhibit 17.4) g. Describe campaign management. h. What type of activities does campaign management include?
6. a. What does customizing product and service offerings require? b. Why should a marketer want to retain its loyal customers? Explain. c. What are loyalty programs? d. What are the objectives of loyalty programs? Provide examples. e. What is cross-selling? (Wikipedia) f. How can CRM be used to cross-sell? Provide examples.
g. How can a marketer design a marketing communication to target a specific set of customers? Provide examples.
7. a. List each step in the sales process. b. What other steps in the selling process might there be? c. How long does it take to complete the sales process? Provide examples. d. How do traditional selling and relationship selling differ? Explain. e. What is prospecting (generating leads). f. Where do salespeople obtain their leads? g. What is a referral? h. Why are referred leads better than other forms of prospecting? i. Explain networking. 8. a. What is cold calling? b. Which method of generating leads would you prefer to use? Why? * c. What does it mean to qualify a lead?
d. When a salesperson qualifies a lead, what three items of information is he/she looking for?
e. The features of a qualified lead include a recognized need. Discuss recognized need.
f. The features of a qualified lead include buying power. Discuss buying power.
g. The features of a qualified lead include receptivity. Discuss receptivity.
h. The features of a qualified lead include accessibility. Discuss accessibility.
i. The features of a qualified lead include a right to buy. Discuss right to buy. * j. Discuss using web sites to qualify leads.
9. a. What