MGT357 Paper 1

Submitted By Marcelo-Mellijor
Words: 1791
Pages: 8

Marcelo Mellijor &
Oluwaseun Oyeyipo
MGT357: Paper 1
Chinese & Filipino Culture
China is the world's most populous country, with a continuous culture stretching back nearly 4,000 years. The estimated population is at 1,261,832,482 (over one­fifth of the world's current population). Of these people, 92 percent are Han Chinese; the remaining 8 percent are people of Zhuang, Uyhgur, Hui, Yi, Tibetan, Miao, Manchu, Mongol, Buyi, Korean, and other nationalities. Sichuan, in the central region, is the most densely populated province. Many of the minority groups live in Outer China, although the distribution has changed slightly over the years. The government has supported Han migration to minority territories in an effort to spread the population more evenly across the country and to control the minority groups in those areas, which sometimes are perceived as a threat to national stability.
The rise in population among the minorities significantly outpaces that of the Han, as the minority groups are exempt from the government's one­child policy. Mandarin Chinese is the official language. It is also called Putonghua and is based on the Beijing dialect. Modern spoken
Chinese, which replaced the classical language in the 1920s, is called bai hua .
The writing system has not changed for thousands of years and is the same for all the dialects which is complex and difficult to learn.Many of the elements that make up the foundation of the modern world originated in China, including paper, gunpowder, credit banking, the compass and paper money. China stagnated for more than two decades under the rigid authoritarianism of early communist rule and the founder of the People’s Republic, Mao Zedong. But China now has the

world's fastest­growing economy and is undergoing what has been described as a second industrial revolution.
The People's Republic of China (PRC) was founded in 1949 after the Communist Party defeated the previously dominant nationalist Kuomintang in a civil war. The leadership of Mao
Zedong oversaw the often brutal implementation of a Communist vision of society. However,
Mao's death in 1976 ushered in a new leadership and economic reform. In the early 1980s the government dismantled collective farming and again allowed private enterprise. The rate of economic change has not been matched by political reform, with the Communist Party that is the world's largest political party by retaining its monopoly on power and maintaining strict control over the people.
China is currently one of the world's top exporters and is attracting record amounts of foreign investment. In turn, it is investing billions of dollars abroad. The collapse in international export markets that accompanied the global financial crisis of 2009 initially hit China hard, but its economy was among the first in the world to rebound, quickly returning to growth. Moreover, the fast­growing economy has fuelled the demand for energy because China is the largest oil consumer after the US, and the world's biggest producer and consumer of coal and spends billions of dollars in pursuit of foreign energy supplies.
China’s economic growth did not come in handy and easy because it took foreign investors a while to understand the Chinese culture and business environment due to a large number of factors such as the things or product that serves a country like the United States well may not suit the Chinese culture in terms of size, price etc. So many businesses have endeavored to do business in China and fail due to lack of in­depth knowledge of portraying themselves or

negotiating deals. Therefore, in doing business in China, one needs to understand the basis of
Chinese culture which is well rooted and heavily influenced by the teachings of Confucius and
Taoism. The teaching of Taoism emphasizes the importance of living in harmony with the source of everything that exists. As a result of this, Chinese conduct