In a word processing program such as Notepad or Microsoft Word, open a new blank file. Then press CTRL + V to paste, or right-click the blank area and then click Paste. The assignment questions will appear.
Save the file in your course folder, and name it with Assignment, the section number, and your first initial and last name. For example, Jessie Robinson's assignment 1R for Section 1 would be named Assignment1JRobinson.
Type the answers to the assignment's questions. Use complete sentences unless the question says otherwise. You will have more than one day to complete an assignment. At the end of each day, be sure to save your progress.
Review Lesson 4 of the Course Overview for instructions about turning in your assignments.
Assignment 1: Economic Basics
1. Describe two examples of important things that financial planning skills can help you do, and explain why these things are important to you personally. (4-6 sentences. 2.0 points)
2. List two examples of goods you have purchased in the past or may purchase in the future. (Complete sentences are not necessary. 0.5 points)
3. List two examples of services you have purchased in the past or may purchase in the future. (Complete sentences are not necessary. 0.5 points)
4. One of the functions of money is as a store of value. How does inflation affect money's ability to store value? (3-6 sentences. 2.0 points)
5. Imagine that you are considering moving to a new country and looking for a job there, but you first want to make sure the country has a strong economy. Describe at least three economic factors that you would want to research as evidence of the economy's strength or weakness, and explain how each factor would affect your decision to move there. (4-6 sentences. 3.0 points)
6. Explain which economic system (market, planned, mixed, or traditional) you think is best for consumers. Describe at least one reason why you think this system is best for consumers. (4-7 sentences. 3.0 points)
7. In capitalism, most businesses have a profit motive. Describe at least one reason that businesses with a profit motive may be helpful