Be A Rep Program
About Miss Representation
Miss Representation is a feature-length documentary that exposes how mainstream media, with its limited – and often disparaging – portrayals of women and girls, contributes to the under-representation of women in positions of power and influence in America. Building off the themes of the film, MissRepresentation.org is organizing tens of thousands of individuals to unite around a common, meaningful goal and spark millions of small actions that will ultimately lead to a cross-generational movement to stop sexism and create lasting cultural and sociological change.
Here are a few campaign activities that we are excited to work with you on:
• Women and girls are speaking out, telling their stories and influencing change.
• Men and boys are standing up to sexism, counter hyper masculinity and championing women as leaders.
• Schools are using the Miss Representation‘s Curriculum to educate youth around media literacy and to inspire and activate students to make change.
• Communities are hosting screenings and discussions to shift the cultural mindset around gender and end sexism.
• Consumers are using their power to celebrate positive media and advertising, and challenge negative media and advertising.
Miss Representation is proud to be partnering with Girls For A Change, to bring you this Action Kit.
About Girls For A Change
Girls For A Change (GFC) is a national organization that empowers girls to create social change. We invite young women to design, lead, fund and implement social change projects that tackle issues girls face in their own neighborhoods.
GFC empowers girls for personal and social transformation. By connecting girls with adult women trained to serve as volunteer coaches, girls develop trusted relationships with powerful role models for civic engagement. At the same time, women become strong advocates for girls and their neighborhoods.
Through the GFC model, girls develop the voice, ability and problem solving capacity to speak up, be decision makers, create visionary change and realize their full potential.
In GFC, girls:
• Have opportunities to address the issues they are confronting
• Are given the space they need to gain confidence in their own voice and convictions
• Connect with volunteers who teach life-skills that are transferable
• Learn the tools they need to identify resources within their communities
We envision a world where girls with strong voices become active leaders and passionately engaged citizens, impacting their own neighborhoods and their nations as informed and active citizens in their civic, political and cultural communities.
Dear Social Action Rep,
Thank you for being a part of the MissRepresentation.org
Social Action Rep team! You will be taking the message of
Miss Representation from the screen to the streets. We need your energy, passion and power to change the face of media and to challenge the media’s limited and often disparaging portrayals of women and girls. These portrayals, and the message they send, make it difficult for women to achieve leadership positions and feel powerful.
This tool kit, designed by our partner Girls For A Change, has all the resources you need to move into action. We have outlined the first three Action Steps to take in this kit. Shortly after signing up for the position, you will start receiving Action Alerts by email. These are used to notify all Social Action Reps about opportunities to address pressing current issues.
Get started by taking the MissRep pledge yourself!
Jennifer Siebel Newsom
Writer, Producer & Director
Job Description and Agreement
So what is a Social Action Rep? First and foremost it’s someone who is committed to taking action to spread the message of the