Course and Section Number
Program of Study
Week 11 Individual Work
Public Order Crimes
To complete this assignment:
1. Answer all of the questions below in the space provided.
2. Reflect on the information presented in this week’s lesson and provide an insightful response to each question using several complete sentences.
3. An example of an excellent response is given for you.
Save and Submit to Dropbox
1. Save your work as a Microsoft Word 2010 (.docx) file that includes your name, course code, and title in the file name. For example: JaneSmith_CCJ1017_Week11.docx.
2. To submit your assignment, go to the Dropbox and click "Submit Assignment."
3. Click on the drop-down menu to select the Week 11: Individual Work basket in the Dropbox.
Objective: Characterize different types of public order crime, such as drugs, prostitution, and pornography
EXAMPLE: At Thanksgiving dinner, cousin Jed decides to unburden himself to his in-laws. He explains that his father, a successful business man, was also an alcoholic. He says he can look around his family and tell which family members have the "alcoholic gene."
Based on what you've learned in this lesson about drug-dependent personalities, how would you evaluate Jed's comment?
Jed could have a point, but he might also just be trying to make himself feel better about his family. A drug-dependent personality is the psychological view of substance abuse. The theory, though, suggests that the dependency is the result of cognitive factors or emotional problems and not necessarily the result of an "alcoholic gene." Personality testing can help identify drug-dependent personalities.
Example a. What references, if any, were used to assist you in answering the question?
Textbook, page 369
1. Define "victimless crime." What impact does victimless crime have on society?
A victimless crime is a public order crime that violates the moral orders but has no specific victim other than society as a whole. These crimes impact society because they go against social policy, prevailing moral rules and current public opinion.
1a. What references, if any, were used to assist you in answering the question?
Textbook, pg 350
2. Prostitution is one type of public order crime. What can/should be done to control it?
First I feel that those who make use of a prostitute need to have their crime publicly known to ensure the amount of embarrassment they feel will prevent them from making use of a prostitute again. Next it’s not only the prostitute that is the problem; it’s also those that exploit the prostitutes. The pimps and Madame’s who need to face jail time and fines. Another problem that needs to be faced is the police officers who overlook prostitution and the public officials who pretend that it’s not a problem.
2a. What references, if any, were used to assist you in answering the question?