Unit 1: Linux Server Installation and
Telinit command to switch between Runlevels.
Install a Linux server.
Manage users and groups in Linux.
LINUX, WHAT IT IS?
Linux is an operating system -- very much like UNIX -that has become very popular over the last several years. OPERATING SYSTEMS
• Operating systems are computer programs. An operating system is the first piece of software that the computer executes when you turn the machine on. The operating system loads itself into memory and begins managing the resources available on the computer. It then provides those resources to other applications that the user wants to execute.
• A server is a system (software and suitable computer hardware) that responds to requests across a computer network to provide, or help to provide, a network service. • HTTP
• SNTP (E-mail)
OPERATING SYSTEMS YOU HATE
• Why use Linux?
• Why use Windows?
• Gates is the former chief executive and current chairman of Microsoft, the world’s largest personalcomputer software company, which he co-founded with
• Steven Paul "Steve" Jobs was an
American entrepreneur, marketer, and inventor, who was the co-founder, chairman, and CEO of Apple Inc.
• Linus Benedict Torvalds is a Finnish
American software engineer, who was the principal force behind the development of the Linux kernel. He later became the chief architect of the Linux kernel, and now acts as the project's coordinator
• Free software is computer software that is distributed along with its source code, and is released under terms that guarantee users the freedom to study, adapt or modify, and distribute the software.
• Open-source software (OSS) is computer software with its source code made available and licensed with a license in which the copyright holder provides the rights to study, change and distribute the software to anyone and for any purpose.
• https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freed om.html RICHARD STALLMAN
• principle member of the GNU project and FSF
• free as in freedom” and “free as in beer
FILE SYSTEM STRUCTURE
• The root directory (note it’s a backslash and not /)
• C:\ in Windows
• Where the users live (Windows C:\Users)
• Windows uses Page File.
• Super user
• In computing, the super user is a special user account used for system