* The name (not value) for a measured electrical charge difference between the inside and the outside of a resting cell's plasma membrane.
* This principle, which determines the direction of diffusion for charged solutes, combines the concentration and electrical charge gradients acting on a solute:
* If only potassium leakage determined membrane potential, what value would membrane potential have in millivolts?
* If a cell's membrane potential becomes less negative, the membrane is going through ________.
* If a cell's membrane potential becomes MORE negative, the membrane is going through ________.
* What kinds of ion channels are needed in order for a membrane to go through the sudden potential change called an _action potential_?
* What are the chemical communication signals released by neurons onto neighboring cells called?
* The kind of chemical communication carried out with local hormones is:
* A chemical signal that travels in the blood can properly be called a/an:
* A cell that can have its behavior changed by a chemical signal is called a __ cell for that chemical.
* The class of chemical signal molecules made from cholesterol:
* The proteins that lipid-soluble signals like thyroid hormones must bind to for travel in the blood are called:
* Integral membrane proteins or glycoproteins that detect changes in a cell s chemical, electrical, or physical surroundings.
* Steroid and thyroid hormones have receptors that bind to ___ after the hormone binds to the receptor.
* The enzyme that breaks down cAMP is called ____.
* Binding of an activated ___ to a regulatory site activates the adenylate cyclase enzyme.
* Adenylate cyclase makes ATP into ___.
* cAMP regulates the activity of a __ enzyme.
* What kind of plasma membrane molecule does phospholipase C act upon?
* Phospholipase C cuts Phosphatidyl inositol bis-phosphate into diacylglycerol and ___.
* Diacylglycerol (DAG) acts as a regulator to turn on a _________ enzyme.
* A cytoplasmic receptor protein that calcium ions commonly bind to when calcium is serving as a second (or third) messenger:
* The hormone receptor for insulin is a ___.
* If a chemical signal has a half-life of 1 hour in the bloodstream, how long will it take for its concentration to drop to one-eighth of the starting value?
* The class of chemical signal molecules made from arachidonic acid:
* Question 26
* The enzyme needed to catalyze conversion of arachidonic acid into prostaglandin signal molecules is:
* The study of tissues, usually at a microscopic level, is ___.
* The extracellular portion of a connective tissue, containing fibers and ground substance, is the __ of the tissue.
* The earliest, embryonic, connective tissue derived from mesoderm is:
* What is the single fluid connective tissue type?
* What kind of cell makes the fibers in fibrous connective tissue?
* What protein gives dense